Excuses to buy balloons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LuciferLooner

Re: Excuses to buy balloons

I just use the excuse that i'm having a party and no one even bats an eyelid, packaged balloons are fine to as that's why they stock them for people to buy.
    Now when liberating advertising balloons that's a different story as i always ask for uninflated ones for my ''daughter'' who collects them. i don't have a child so it's funnier like they will ask out of curiosity so you have to make up a name if they ask and an age, usually around 6-7 as that's still fine for balloons. But tbf any age is fine for wanting balloons !

Comment

• LoonerMyName
      • Sep 2018

Sorry for not making this clear earlier, but the point if the article was excuses to go out and buy balloons not what to say to the employee.

Comment

• Pink Balloon
        • Oct 2016

My excuse has always been it's my money...

And claim it's for stress, stedy breathing like a paper bag.

Comment

• scuba
          • Jan 2017

My sugestion would be to buy them online.
          I use Balloons United.
          They sell a lot of various bigger balloons and they are looners too.
          Cattex also sell their balloons online, but they put a tax on their price.
          They are totaly fine with people using their balloons in special ways.
          I wrote a rewiew on their webside explaining how i use their GL1200 balloons to float on and they put it on there under rewiews.
          You can also buy a lot of big loons on Ebay

Comment

• JOhara
            • Jul 2015

I know the staff typically dont ask but sometimes I would get anxious like they were on to me.

One time I recal buying a bouquet of three 12 inch balloons and i had them filled with helium at the shop. When asked what colors I looked down at my phone as if I was checking to see what someone was asking me to get. The colors chosen were pink, light blue and light purple. And when they filled them they overinflated them enough to start having the amazing pear shape. I paid and when I left I placed my phone close to my ear as I walked out to pretend I was calling someone about picking up the balloons.

Comment

• marja

Originally posted by LoonerMyName
              Sorry for not making this clear earlier, but the point if the article was excuses to go out and buy balloons not what to say to the employee.
              You are right. I read your response as you needed an excuse.
              The title of the topic suggest the topic starter wants an excuse. But the question is more where to buy balloons.

To answer the question on buying balloons. It is easy to visit a local party store, they should have some bigger balloons. Or buy online. But make sure to buy from the USA if you live there. The first time I bought balloons online, I bought them in the usa while I am living in Europe. It cost me a lot of money because I had to pay import taxes. So after that I decided to only buy form Europe based shops, where I don't have to worry about taxes (and shipment costs).

Comment

• Theodoig
                • Feb 2019

I buy a lot of balloons. I get through a lot of balloons ;-)

I tell people in my private life I need them for work
                When people at work notice, I tell them I need it for a family party
                Then I call a couple of friends and we have balloon party fun at his house and pop them all in so many ways.
                The questions by others just add to the excitement.

Comment

• tebe2hu
                  • Jan 2017

I think no one needs to find excuses, buying balloons is a normal and legal activity. But if the assistant seems to be too curious, there are several choices (and all can be true):
                  - for my granddaughter
                  - for a photo shot
                  - to decorate
                  - to find out how big they get
                  - for a scientific experiment
                  - just because :-)

Comment

• balloonPatcher
                    • Jun 2020

Just that you really like balloons is enough of a reason.
                    I used to buy my big balloons at Party city on Bathurst street in Toronto.
                    But it changed ownership and so did the balloons.
                    That was a good thing since it forced me to go to the internet to buy.
                    Buying direct from the manufacturer you get the best selection and price.
                    Cattex and Bubble XL have excellent quality balloons.
                    I have also bought from a couple of re sellers that I found out here on this forum. French balloons and LA balloons. Both had fast delivery and great balloons. I still do the odd impulse buy if I see some nice balloons in a store as I have very little resistance when it comes to balloons and other latex inflatables. My two cents

Comment

• Loonatic
                      Balloons + Feet
                      • Apr 2016

Growing up I would always say the balloons were for some science/school/art/photo project I was working on. Get a few bags, or big bag of 72, use some of them for your cover story, save the rest for fun.

Balloon art installs are really big now (just search organic balloon arch or something like that) so you could say you saw one randomly on IG, TikTok, YouTube, somewhere online and thought it looked easy/cool/interesting and wanted to see if you could do it just because.

That'll give you an excuse to get a ton of balloons, just actually do the art thing to keep your cover story. This is exactly what I did once and I not only was able to get a good amount of balloons without any real question, but I also actually enjoyed learning to make stuff with balloons and still do as a hobby now. Plus, you get to cleanup all those balloons too so that's always awesome haha

May not work for your situation, but thought it might help. Good luck!

Comment

• Whoisjohngalt
                        • Feb 2021

I used to get all nervous about it, but eventually I realized that no one really cares what you are buying and never comments on the balloons unless your at a party store and cashier is trying to make small talk. That being said I use a self checkout no matter what I’m buying

Comment

• Seidenki
                          • Dec 2016

I buy most of my balloons online, but I do buy in retail stores when I can find interesting ones at good enough prices. Most of the time I don't comments. I've found it's usually when you buy a lot that you get a comment.

One time I bought out a local Target's last remaining stock of link-a-loons (not as many as you would think) because they were clearly switching to cheaper balloons. The checkout operator said something and I plainly said it was because Target was switching to cheaper Chinese balloons and link-a-loons are better quality and not always easy to get.

Another time I took advantage of a US visit to locate a Party City to buy some of their now famous 24" balloons. Several times, actually. Pretty sure the cashier wanted to say something about the 8 or 9 packets I had. I would've been honest: "they're good quality and I'm visiting the country". But she didn't ask.

Comment

• frankfrank
                            Empathetic Harmonizer
                            • Feb 2018

As for a "reason" I've only ever been asked once, in a balloon store in Albuquerque, of all places! (ABQ is considered the ballooning capital of the world with a massive rally every year, though those are HOT AIR BALLOONS which of course are an entirely different thing.)

Thinking quickly and immediately and on-the-spot, it tumbled out of my mouth that I was sent by the crew to find suitable balloons for a short film that we were making!

Of course there was no crew, and no short film, but the excuse worked, LOL.

For those who are shy about it, the best time to buy balloons is a little before Halloween. If you think you're gonna be asked, you just say that you're deciding to give out trick-or-treat gifts that are different from the candy that everybody else gives out!
                            Last edited by frankfrank; 25-02-2021, 03:27.
                            People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• tebe2hu
                              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Seidenki
                              Another time I took advantage of a US visit to locate a Party City to buy some of their now famous 24" balloons. Several times, actually. Pretty sure the cashier wanted to say something about the 8 or 9 packets I had. I would've been honest: "they're good quality and I'm visiting the country". But she didn't ask.
                              I received some PC-24 from an American looner friend. Some (actually all pink ones) I gave to my granddaughter. Pink is her favorite color and she loves bouncing on these balloons. The others I use sometimes.
                              The other day I went to Party Point in Budapest to buy a couple of big GEMAR-s. It's a party shop, similar to its American 'sister'. The lady at the counter remembered my face because I generally buy my balloons in their shop. Once she asked why I need so many big balloons, I replied "To take such cute photos like this" and showed her a photo in my phone where my granddaughter was sitting on a tight pink PC-24 and drinking her morning cocoa drink. I added that sometimes I take photos of my friends' kids and balloons are great to attract and keep their attention (completely true). Also added that the balloons seldom survive the shot sessions that's why I need many of them. Next time her question was "Nice to see you again sir, how is your cute granddaughter?"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎