Old 20-03-2019, 11:38 AM

sonarloon is on a distinguished road
Default containing the shreds?
Hi there.
I've recently been getting into (very gently) riding my balloons now. Only problem is I get lost in, ahem, enjoyment and sometimes I worry the people I live with may find the shreds, even weeks after the potential balloon popped.
Any of you have any method of containing the shreds (preferably to one manageable area) when a balloon goes? At the moment, I've been riding 18 inch qualatex, though I also have some q24s as well.
Old 20-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Loveinloons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: containing the shreds?
For balloons of that size place them in a trash bag
Old 20-03-2019, 01:21 PM

wildheart is on a distinguished road
I find balloons don’t usually shred too much when sit popping, but it depends how fresh they are and how tight they’ve been blown. It’s blow to pops that can cause major shredding. I’m still finding pieces of one I did a few weeks ago.
Old 20-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Cho is on a distinguished road
I usually ride my balloons while under a very thin blanket. If the ballooon pops all shreds are under me or the blanket and as a little bonus point: if somebody walks in on you you can try to cover the balloon with the blanket. (I don't know if that's needed in your case but it safed my ass some times)
Old 20-03-2019, 10:28 PM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
Occasionally I’ve used either a big four man dinghy or a rectangular paddling pool to ride balloons inside. The odd shard of latex may escape, but on the whole either make a pretty good job of containing flying shards if I can be bothered to drag them out and inflate them first. The other added benefit being they’ve (in my case) both got inflatable floors which makes a good job of protecting the balloon against sharp bits in the carpet or flooring beneath.
Old 21-03-2019, 12:14 AM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
What about for blowing to pop? I imagine it would take a fairly elaborate setup to catch everything in all directions :/ I can't really even try to B2P because I'm afraid of housemates finding shards.
Old 21-03-2019, 03:24 AM
Blower at Looners Inc.

t17forLife is on a distinguished road
I recall seeing in your intro post that you are blind, so your disability will change my answer a bit. If you're concerned about the pieces, you can put smaller (5-12") balloons inside a shopping bag, mediums (14-17") in a trash can liner bag, anything else up to about 36" should fit in a garbage bag. I suggest this as I am not sure how you would find all the pieces except by feel, and that could take quite some time (I still find pieces behind furniture months later from B2P sessions).

That said,

Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
I find balloons donít usually shred too much when sit popping, but it depends how fresh they are and how tight theyíve been blown. Itís blow to pops that can cause major shredding. Iím still finding pieces of one I did a few weeks ago.
This is the main point. He is spot on with that comment. When I do a S2P, the most common occurrence is either the mouthpiece flying off or the whole balloon splitting open. I've never had flying shrapnel from a S2P. For a blow-to-pop, on the other hand, it's standard procedure. Those things go everywhere!
Old 13-04-2019, 11:36 PM

b loony is on a distinguished road
Pop up tent does btp and some riding and shreds are conatined and if btp little scarrier as smaller space .