Old 28-06-2020, 04:49 AM

Yonkers Looner is on a distinguished road
Default I Want Custom Printed Loons
My birthday is coming up soon, and for a long time I've wanted to buy custom printed balloons, but I can't really find a good service for that sort of thing. I mean, there are those sites that do bulk orders for corporations and such, but I can't exactly afford to buy a minimal order of 500 balloons. What on Earth would I do with 500 balloons!?
Wait, don't answer that.
Point being, I really want to get some loons specially printed, and I'm not sure where to go. I also know there are copyright laws, and I want to respect those, but if I use private artwork, that's not an issue right? Just curious, very open to responses rn.

Writer, future teacher, gamer, nerd, lover, looner, stoner, unapologetic nutcase
Old 28-06-2020, 07:48 AM

Orzel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I Want Custom Printed Loons
Originally Posted by Yonkers Looner View Post
I also know there are copyright laws, and I want to respect those, but if I use private artwork, that's not an issue right? Just curious, very open to responses rn.
You mean, like that profile pic you took from Avrolancer and probably use without permission?
That's just theft then, and a shitty thing to do in general. So you're not going to get help from me with that - unless I'm wrong, of course, I don't wanna make assumptions too quickly.
Old 28-06-2020, 11:26 PM

Yonkers Looner is on a distinguished road
Iím using it as a profile pic, Iím not selling it, redistributing it, or even really gaining any net benefit at somebody elseís expense. I didnít claim it was my art either, I just thought it was nice.

As for the licensing thing, the question was really more along the lines of Ďcan I use copyrighted characters if the artwork belongs to me, or is that still not cool?í I wouldnít know for sure, Iím more rehearsed in geopolitics than international copyright law. Iím not trying to one-up the system, Iím just curious.

Writer, future teacher, gamer, nerd, lover, looner, stoner, unapologetic nutcase
Old 29-06-2020, 04:17 AM

Bubblyzzz is on a distinguished road
Check ebay for custom printing
Old 29-06-2020, 05:47 AM

Orzel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Yonkers Looner View Post
Iím using it as a profile pic, Iím not selling it, redistributing it, or even really gaining any net benefit at somebody elseís expense. I didnít claim it was my art either, I just thought it was nice.
You didn't ask the artist for permission to use it, you didn't even credit the person who drew it. It's not some random anime picture either - it's original content created by one of the members of our community. So kinda not cool to do.
Old 29-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Founder, Balloon Buddies

BusterBill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
You didn't ask the artist for permission to use it, you didn't even credit the person who drew it. It's not some random anime picture either - it's original content created by one of the members of our community. So kinda not cool to do.
Saying it isn't cool is a polite way of stating it. I'd call it illegal appropriation of the original creator's intellectual property. It goes way beyond being "not cool" in my opinion. And I see it happen far too often. It's theft, plain & simple.

Last edited by BusterBill; 30-06-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 29-06-2020, 11:46 AM

wildheart is on a distinguished road
I never used to see it as a big deal, until I had my own stuff stolen without permission. I contacted the person and asked if they would either take it down or give permission and they blocked me. Some people don’t give a damn and don’t like it when you call them out. I could’ve taken legal action, but it wasn’t worth it. There was no harm in it, but it is irritating to see someone take your work without your consent. Until it’s happened to you, you won’t understand.
Old 30-06-2020, 09:09 PM
Founder, Balloon Buddies

BusterBill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
I never used to see it as a big deal, until I had my own stuff stolen without permission. I contacted the person and asked if they would either take it down or give permission and they blocked me. Some people donít give a damn and donít like it when you call them out. I couldíve taken legal action, but it wasnít worth it. There was no harm in it, but it is irritating to see someone take your work without your consent. Until itís happened to you, you wonít understand.
Thanks wildheart. That was well stated.

I've been in the same situation on more than one occasion because I used to run various looner web sites. All too often people would appropriate my content and repost it publicly without asking. I always ask the poster nicely to remove the image or story, and 90% of the time, the offender complies.

But in about 10% of the cases I encounter the same behavior you did -- they ignore or block me, or in one extreme case the moron actually threatened my life. I forwarded his threats to his ISP and they turned over his info to the EU authorities. I have no idea what happened after that but his account disappeared along with my stolen reposted material. In each case where the poster does not comply, I always issue a formal DMCA takedown notice. The DMCA takedown notices have so far been effective 100% of the time.