Old 19-01-2021, 07:30 PM

Boom&Bust is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone else feel embarrassed about the neighbours hearing the noise
Oh, wait, I've just remembered that there was another difference between the soldering iron pops that I did last night, and the ones that I did today.

Today I couldn't get the tip of the soldering iron to stay on the balloon at all, it kept slipping off, so I had to use some sticky tape over the handle of the iron to stick it to the chair armrest so it wouldn't move.

Yesterday I didn't have to use tape as I was able to get the soldering iron to balance on the armrest and the balloon.

But I cannot see this as having any effect on how loud the bang was.

Maybe I could inflate some loons and just leave them around long enough for them to oxidize, since I think then they wont pop as loud, but I'm sure they'll probably still be too loud though.
Old 21-01-2021, 05:10 PM

Boom&Bust is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone else feel embarrassed about the neighbours hearing the noise
Okay, so I've bought a radio controlled car today when I went shopping. I thought that using an RC with a knife attached would be more convenient than using the soldering iron.

It is a New Bright Chevrolet Silverado and you're able to operate the vehicle within 80-100 feet (25-30 meters).

I was worried that the signal may not be able to get to it if the RC is upstairs while I'm downstairs or outside with the controls. But it worked!

I taped a knife to it, then put it in the attic bedroom, and then put a balloon in front of it. I had the balloon against a heavy box so it doesn't just get pushed forwards by the knife tip instead.

I went downstairs, used the controls and I heard it pop, it was very quiet, which must be down to the fact that it was higher up in the attic, and because of me having the living room door closed.

I made several other attempts at popping a balloon with it, but none of them worked, usually the balloon would just move out of the way. So then I ended up taping the balloon to the cardboard that was leaning against the box and I managed to pop it.

Now what is bizarre, is that this time I went outside and used the controls. I really would have thought that the pop would be a lot louder, because instead of the sound having to get through brick walls and floors to me, it only had to go through the thin plasterboard walls in the attic bedroom, and then through some roof tiles, but I didn't hear a thing.

SAM_5006.JPG

SAM_5008.JPG

SAM_5024.JPG

Last edited by Boom&Bust; 21-01-2021 at 05:15 PM.