Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirSquishy
    • Mar 2020

Mexico City bans balloons

One of the world's biggest cities has prohibited the use of single-use plastic materials including plastic forks, straws and cups. Mexico's capital is striving to revamp its image as an eco-friendly, sustainable city.

Can we take a moment to talk about this, and it's implications to the rest of the world? To summarize the article, Mexico City is banning the commercialization, distribution and delivery of single use plastics, this includes balloons and, I imagine, many other types of inflatables.

Now first of all, I feel terribly sorry for any looners living in Mexico City. It's going to be rough. I never thought I would see a day when something like looning could be banned by proxy, but here we are. I hope all looners in Mexico City stay safe.

This news makes me consider the implications on the rest of the world. I know many first world countries are pushing to "go green" as they say. If we're heading in this direction, I think balloon manufacturers are going to find it difficult to produce and market their product. This will, in turn, drive the prices of balloons higher, and may run balloon manufacturers out of business. This, I imagine, is the last thing we all want.

I am very interested to see how this single-use plastics ban plays out in Mexico City. If it is well received, improves the quality of life, and genuinely makes life, the economy, and the environment of Mexico City better; I think we may see other large cities around the world start making the same decisions. In which case, our favorite past-time would become much more difficult, and maybe even illegal. On the other hand, if the ban is ineffective, makes life harder, doesn't decrease pollution, and generally doesn't change anything; I think this may deter other large cities around the world from making the same decision. It's hard to tell.

Now, don't get me wrong, I hate pollution, and I'm all for improving the quality of life; but I really hope there's a clause in any new "plastics banning" laws that at least allows for some ability to continue our...habits. I'm curious to hear what you all might think concerning this news.
  • Asclepio
    • Sep 2018

Re: Mexico City bans balloons

Oooooooh wait, I am from Mexico, maybe you probably fell into the same confusion as many other people, this due to a poorly written or misinformed note.
    Let me explain, effectively Mexico City has just banned the sale of single-use plastic products (bags for example), however, the balloons no longer entered the same category because they are LATEX, a biodegradable material, so is not a plastic.
    Of course it is going to affect the sales of other products, such as PVC balloons or foil balloons.
    But most companies that manufacture balloons in Mexico have already been able to clarify that they are not plastic, therefore they only have to modify the packaging they use to transport the balloons.
    A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• SirSquishy
      • Mar 2020

Originally posted by DeppLooner
      Oooooooh wait, I am from Mexico, maybe you probably fell into the same confusion as many other people, this due to a poorly written or misinformed note.
      Let me explain, effectively Mexico City has just banned the sale of single-use plastic products (bags for example), however, the balloons no longer entered the same category because they are LATEX, a biodegradable material, so is not a plastic.
      Of course it is going to affect the sales of other products, such as PVC balloons or foil balloons.
      But most companies that manufacture balloons in Mexico have already been able to clarify that they are not plastic, therefore they only have to modify the packaging they use to transport the balloons.

This is great news! So it sounds like latex balloons were initially included in the ban, but then the law was amended to exclude latex balloons from the ban. Is that correct? I wonder if there were any court cases involving balloon manufacturers vs the government of Mexico City regarding this.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Comment

• globos&bears
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by DeppLooner
        Agree with Deeplooner! I live in Mexico City and Latex balloons are NOT banned because they are biodegradable :-)

Comment

• frankfrank
          Empathetic Harmonizer
          • Feb 2018

^ THAT would be fun!
          People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎