Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildheart
    • Apr 2015

Popping in the woods

With the current situation, I, like many of us, is stuck at home with family and can’t pop any balloons without arousing suspicion. A few weeks ago I took a balloon on a hike with me and found a nice spot in the middle of an ancient wood. It was off the main tracks and pretty difficult to get to. There was a fallen log under a tree, surrounded by bushes. A perfect spot to blow up balloons without anyone seeing. I only had the one on me at the time, and didn’t have ear plugs so didn’t want to pop. I saved the location on my gps and returned there a few days later. This time I brought a few different balloons. I blew them as tight as I dared.
    It was pretty fun just to blow them up outside. A lot more relaxed than my usual sessions. One balloon got absolutely huge and I couldn’t resist sitting on it, making it pop loudly. I was worried someone would hear and think it was a gunshot or something, so left soon after.

The next time I went back, it was raining. It was quite sheltered in my spot so I didn’t mind. The occasional rain drop hitting the balloon made it interesting. It was pretty loud. The shape and material of a balloon seems to amplify the sound.
    I decided to try a blow to pop. It got way tighter than I thought it would, and was pretty scary. I didn’t think many people would be around so I popped a few more.
    At the end, the rain started getting heavier. The water was running down the tight balloon I was blowing into. When it burst, there was a huge cloud of mist.

I’m going to go back tomorrow. Perhaps I’ll try bigger balloons this time. I can definitely recommend trying this. As a quick note, I always make sure to collect as many shreds as possible and take them back with me. There’s no litter at all in this spot, so I don’t think many people have found it before.
    Attached Files
    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com
  • Leonard92
    • Aug 2015

Re: Popping in the woods

Because of the current situation, I also live with my family. I had to leave behind my main balloon stash at my other place, about 100 miles from where I currently live.

At first I didn't know how much all these pandemic restrictions will last so I grabbed a few balloons with me, enough for 2 weeks, if I would ever be alone for a few hours. It's been more than 3 months I haven't played with a balloon... and it drives me crazy.. I feel this huge urge to go somewhere and blow to pop balloons (it's funny because inside my own apartment I am a non popper by the way).

So a few days ago, I planned a trip to some woods 3 km from my town, I have last visited about 15 years ago when I was a kid. At first I thought it will be pretty hard to find a good spot where I can hide to blow up some balloons and not be disturbed.. I tried to do my research from some youtube videos taken from the place, but when I finally reached there it wasn't that hard to hide.

I tried to get there an hour before sunset, and again in the next morning very early. I finally got the courage to do this outdoors, where I had the risk to be seen... it was quite an experience.. I was always in an alert state so to say... I hope next time I will be more relaxed and enjoy every minute there.

Is it just me, or balloons tend to have much richer colors in the daylight than inside at home? Also I think they get bigger and they are softer at their rated size than inside. Maybe because of the high humidity that was in the air. Nevertheless, after a few blows on a qualatex 16" it started to give off that pleasurable smell of latex.. I missed so much. I managed for the first time to blow up a belbal 14 way past it's rated size without popping. I didn't know they could get that big. I also did my first blow to pops on a unique and a pearl qualatex 16.

Near me, behind a few layers of bushes there was a group of people partying... they heard my bangs, but didn't mind to check on me. The worst thing from this experience is that when I finally got home, I found that a tik bit me, and I got it removed only after a few hours. I hope I will be well.

Please be aware of these nasty bugs when going outside. It is advised to use a repelant when going outside but I also don't want it to interact with my balloons in a bad way. Apart from this I definitely recommend this experience. Share your stories.

Also, how about ordering balloons online when you are living with your family? I want to order some uniques but I am worrying my family will find out...

I would like some day to be finally free, to enjoy my balloons outside without ever worrying someone will spot me.

Comment

• wildheart
      • Apr 2015

The woods I go to seems very quiet. There’s no parking nearby, so it’s only the people who live next to it that go walking there. I have to walk 3 miles to get there. I’m always pretty alert, but it’s very unlikely anyone will stumble across me. There’s no paths nearby. Bugs aren’t too common in the Uk. There are ticks but they aren’t as common as hotter countries. I’ve never had one. As long as you don’t walk through thick grass or ferns you should be good.
      I’m not too sure how far the sound carries. I doubt anyone would find me, even if they went looking. You can’t see it from the paths. I came across it by accident.

The pops sound different in a forest. You can hear an echo, but it doesn’t seem as loud.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
        • May 2020

I actually did something similar to this today. Had to get out of the house and took a drive to the local mountains. Found an empty trailhead and hiked a little bit to a semi secluded spot. Blew up a Q24 quite large and tied it to a bush. The Q24 is one balloon I still can't B2P by mouth so I popped it with a stick. Sounded like a gun shot bouncing off the hills. I then moved to another area that unfortunately wasn't as good as the first spot and did a B2P of a Q16 followed by a Rifco giant mouse head. I tried to B2P one of the giant rabbits but it was not cooperating so I deflated it and went back to my car. I plugged in the electric pump that I keep in my car and put the rabbit on it. The body and head got huge before it exploded. I then popped 2 more Q24's on the pump as I was driving home. One of them actually turned to confetti when it finally let go. Next time I think I'm going to plan a little bit better and bring a blanket so I can do some sit pops as well as scouting the area better via Google maps. It helped relieve some of the pent up frustrations that a lot of us are feeling due to be locked up at home with family during this pandemic.

Comment

• wildheart
          • Apr 2015

Back from another session. I started with overinflating some 11-14 inch until they got very tight. Then I tried to b2p a Q646. I couldn’t do it. I sat on it after, expecting it to pop on the rough log. When that failed, I stomped on it with my boot, it squeaked loudly but still wouldn’t pop. I folded it in half and sat on it, dug my nails in, crushed it with me shoe etc.
          It finally burst, but only into two pieces. The end half was still intact. I blew it back up and tried popping that. The end bulged so much it looked like a round balloon with a neck. I decided to save it and try a pump to pop with it.

On the way home it started raining hard so I took shelter in another wood. It was a lot more public, but I didn’t think anyone would be about in the rain. I started blowing some more balloons. They’re so squeaky when wet. I got carried away with a yellow 12 inch. It got huge! I may have kept going, but I heard some people coming. They hurried past a few metres away from me. I don’t think they saw me, but if they did, they would’ve seen a guy standing in the rain blowing into a bulging neck of a balloon that was obviously much too big.

I think it was around 14-16 inches and incredibly tight. They might’ve heard the rain hitting it. Each drop made the balloon ring loudly. The people put me off a bit so I stopped. I must’ve been close to finishing it though. Next time!

I got a lot of it on video too. I’m hoping the mic picked up all the squeaks from the rain

Comment

• Asclepio
            • Sep 2018

Thats awesome Wildheart, read your story makes me want to be blowing a big tt17¨in the woods too. I need to try it too, sounds like a good plan, the woods, the rain, a good Coffee and some BIG balloons.
            Hope to see your video soon, take care and be safe man.
            A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• wildheart
              • Apr 2015

Tt17’s can get huge with multiple inflations. Almost got one to 24” before. Need to get some more to take with me. Imagine getting caught blowing one of those. If you did it in the rain, water will spray absolutely everywhere when it bursts.

Comment

• Asclepio
                • Sep 2018

Well I did it multiple times in a local park, at 6 or 7pm, so not so much people could see me blowing such unusual balloons, but even the ones who saw me blowing a big balloon with the neck fully inflated, didn't ask me anything, not even a second look to what I was doing.
                So since that day, I understood that blowing a balloon (not matter the size as I doesn't get bigger than 24¨ I believe) usually is not a big deal for normal people, they don't even think about it twice, they just go away minding their own bussiness hahahaha
                So just don't act too sexual with your balloons, and everything should be fine.
                A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• bfinch2000
                  • Feb 2020

i have done this a few times before, although not actually since the pandemic started. sometimes i just blew up 12-14 inchers tight and then popped them with a stick or something, but as i got more confident b2p became pretty much standard for me.

i also like to take my shirt off to do it, it just makes the whole experience that bit more fun! something about being outside and blowing up balloons shirtless that is just awesome

i've been caught once or twice, but i wasn't really being as careful as i should have been. it sounds like you've found a pretty good spot and it would be unlikely to happen, especially at the moment.

Comment

• BallonBTP
                    • Apr 2020

I think it is cool popping balloons in the woods. I have done this a lot when I was young, because I didn’t have so much time alone at home, but after I moved away from home I haven’t done it very often. However during the lockdown I have sort of revived the forest popping. I went shopping as soon as the shops opened to avoid it being all too crowded, and afterwards I drove to a small nearby wood and went for a walk while blowing up a balloon I had brought along. At first I found a hidden place, but as I never saw anybody there I just blew up the balloon while walking on the path.
                    I still find it really cool. The balloon makes a very loud and resonating bang when it pops.

Close by there is a path that runs where there used to be a narrow track railway, and the path runs under the motorway in a tunnel. I have tried a couple of times to blow to pop a balloon in the tunnel, and it makes an absolutely INCREDIBLE bang! The first time was super exciting, because I didn’t know how loud it would be, and the following times were just as exciting, because I knew exactly how loud it would be.
                    I would go there much more if it wasn’t for the path being used a lot by joggers.
                    However the fitness people don’t seem to be up early, so I can go there now and then early mornings. It is cool.

Greetings
                    BallonBTP

Comment

• wildheart
                      • Apr 2015

I’m thinking about improving my little spot. I might build a little wooden seat so it’ll be a bit more comfortable. I found out there’s a small path not far from it, but you can’t really see me because there’s a fallen tree in the way. I could take an air mattress to sit on too, but they take so long to blow up by mouth. I might settle with an inflatable cushion.

It would be nice if I lived in a country where you’re allowed to camp anywhere in the wilderness, although I doubt anyone would see if I did camp there.

Comment

• wildheart
                        • Apr 2015

Built a stool and cleared a bit of space today. Then I inflated a 12 inch. Didn’t intend on popping, but it got way bigger than expected and I couldn’t help myself. It was very loud. Far louder than the other balloons I’ve popped there. Bet it could be heard for miles.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• bfinch2000
                          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by wildheart
                          Built a stool and cleared a bit of space today. Then I inflated a 12 inch. Didn’t intend on popping, but it got way bigger than expected and I couldn’t help myself. It was very loud. Far louder than the other balloons I’ve popped there. Bet it could be heard for miles.
                          wow, that is a very big 12 inch!

i like the idea of making it your own space. i'd be tempted to leave a couple of balloons there, see if they turn into broken pieces while you're away :P

Comment

• wildheart
                            • Apr 2015

A very good session today. While blowing one up on the way to my little place, I suddenly noticed some balloons caught in a tree. They’d obviously been there a while. Two were popped and the other barely had any air left. I was pretty surprised to find them in the middle of the woods. I reckon they were helium and floated there. When I squeezed it, it popped right away. How I would’ve loved to see some tightly inflated balloons left there... In fact it gave me an idea for a video. I blew some up and tied them to a tree. Then I pretended to find them while walking and burst one by stomping and another by sitting on it. It’s certainly something I haven’t recorded before.

I then blew one up very tight in the rain. It got so hard that I got too nervous to continue. After that I abused a 24 inch balloon. (Belbal or tuftex, I can’t remember) I inflated it until it was about to burst (I think. It had a neck and was incredibly tight) I then let some air out and sat on it, squeezed it, blew it bigger while riding it and forcing the neck to bulge. It was pretty tough. I saved it for another day as I only have one 24 inch.

Before leaving I wanted to do a b2p. I took a belbal 14” clear and carried on blowing until the neck was full. I was getting nervous, and struggled to get it even bigger. The neck somehow extended even more so there was nothing to hold on to. I had to hold the balloon tightly and press my mouth into the bulging end of the neck.

I was absolutely terrified. The latex was rock solid and each raindrop made it ring loudly. I told myself one more breath and I’ll leave it for today. Of course it exploded right as I was about to let go. Definitely the loudest pop I’ve experienced. It stung my lips too. I reckon it was 16 inch in size but I didn’t measure it. I just know it was massive. Huge cloud of mist, was incredible.

Someone must’ve heard it. It was kinda eerie. The forest went silent after the bang. Before there was birds singing and rustling in the bushes. I quickly picked up as many pieces as I could and got out of there in case anyone went to investigate the noise. I could smell latex all the way home. I wished I’d brought more to pop. Or at least one to inflate in the car. (Didn’t want to blow the 24 because people would definitely notice that.)

Sorry for the long post. Just had to share it. Recorded some of it on video too, but it doesn’t capture the whole experience. Balloons look much larger in person and you can’t feel just how tight they’re getting on video. (Photo is the balloons I found. Everything else is on my camera.)
                            Attached Files

Comment

• bfinch2000
                              • Feb 2020

sounds amazing! i've definitely had that before where a type of balloon you're totally used to just goes way beyond what you can normally get out of it. it's a shame like you say that video can never quite capture the full experience, it will just have to live on in your memory!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎