How do you say blowing up a balloon or BTP in another language?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrbloon
    • Sep 2018

How do you say blowing up a balloon or BTP in another language?

The thread by Loudpop on favourite balloon phrase along with responses from Slugamano and Balloon&girls has given me an idea for a new thread

How do you say:-

blow up a balloon
    or
    blow a ballon until it pops

in another language, here are some to start it off from me..

gonfiare palloncino
    gonflage ballon
    encher baloes
    inflando gobo
    nadmuchanie balonek

I have tried to use google translate but its very hit and miss, so the words are not always correct for a native speaker in that langauge.

Let see how many languages we can list between us all.

Feel free to add other phrases too.
  • Asclepio
    • Sep 2018

Re: How do you say blowing up a balloon or BTP in another language?

In Spanish it would be “Inflar hasta explotar”= Blow to pop
    Or you could say “Inflar un globo”= Blow up a balloon
    A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• Regular Guy
      • Aug 2015

German:

Blow up a balloon: einen Ballon/Luftballon aufblasen/aufpusten

Blow to pop: aufblasen/aufpusten bis zum Platzen

Blow a ballon until it pops: einen Ballon/Luftballon aufblasen/aufpusten bis er platzt

In German you can use "Ballon" oder "Luftballon" for the word balloon. The word "Luftballon" is a bit more common if you talk about "our" (latex-)balloons. The word "Ballon" is often used for more "technical" balloons like weather balloons or hot-air balloons (of course there are although other words for these, too).

When it comes to balloons the word "blow" can be translated with "aufpusten" or "aufblasen". Both means the same but "aufblasen" can sometimes sound a bit obscene because "blasen" can also mean blowjob.
      By the way, there is no specific word for "inflate". It depends on how you inflate something. If you inflate it by mouth you say "aufblasen" or "aufpusten", if you inflate it with a pump, you say "aufpumpen".

Comment

• marja

Dutch:

Blow up a balloon: een ballon opblazen

blow to pop: blazen/opblazen tot knappen (This sounds really weird.)
        (so it is more likely to use "opblazen tot ze knappen/opblazen tot hij knapt", blow until they burst/it bursts)

blow a balloon until it pops: een ballon opblazen tot hij knapt.

Instead of "knapt" one can use "knalt"

Unlike German, luchtballon in Dutch (Luftballon in German) refers to a hot air balloon, the latex balloon is simply called ballon.

Comment

• srob2
          • Dec 2017

風船割り
          風船を割る
          膨らまし割り
          バルーン膨らまし
          口で風船を割る

Comment

• Marlo14
            • Jan 2020

In French we say
            Blow up a balloon - Gonfle un Ballon

Comment

• Slugamano
              • Jul 2016

Hungarian:

Blow! ==> fújd
              Blow it up ==> fújd fel

B2P ==> Fújd, amíg el nem durran; fújd durranásig

Comment

• blfun98
                • Nov 2018

Italian here!
                blow up a balloon = gonfiare un palloncino
                blow a ballon until it pops = gonfiare un palloncino fino a farlo scoppiare

Comment

• iguessimalooner
                  • Dec 2017

Vietnam!
                  blow up a balloon = thổi lên một quả bóng
                  blow a balloon until it pops = thổi một quả bóng cho đến khi nó nổ
                  Texas y'all.

Comment

• mrballoon
                    • Aug 2014

I am the representative of the Czech Republic so, Czechs say ...

Blow up a balloon = Nafoukni balón.
                    Blow a balloon until it pops = Nafukuj balón dokud nepraskne.
                    Blow to pop (to burst) = Nafukuj do prasknutí (do bouchnutí).

Usually, we say "balónek" for a normal size of latex balloon, but if there is some big size of balloon it's better say "balón".

Could someone (with native English) tell to me ... is there some different feeling between words "pop, burst, bang, ... or some others". Is the "burst" more powerful then the "pop" or it' the same? And what about a "bang" word? thanks
                    Last edited by mrballoon; 13-02-2020, 22:26.

Comment

• Regular Guy
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mrballoon
                      Could someone (with native English) tell to me ... is there some different feeling between words "pop, burst, bang, ... or some others". Is the "burst" more powerful then the "pop" or it' the same? And what about a "bang" word? thanks
                      A very good question.

I also would like to get to know the difference between "pop" and "burst" - if there is one.

In my opinion "bang" is more related to the sound.
                      A balloon pops/bursts and you hear a bang/there is a bang. Of course a balloon "bangs" but that is because it bursts.

Or in German:
                      "Ein (Luft-)Ballon platzt und man hört einen Knall/es knallt. Natürlich knallt ein (Luft-)Ballon, aber deshalb weil er platzt."

And there is something weird in the phrase above, in German language even things have a gender, a ballon for example is male ("... weil er platzt.").
                      The bang you hear when a ballon pops is male. The air you blow into a balloon is female. The neck a ballon gets when it is overinflated is male. Every ballon has a color and color is female.
                      Last edited by Regular Guy; 15-02-2020, 15:04.

Comment

• Mrbloon
                        • Sep 2018

Here is my view on the difference between pop and burst.

Pop is a sound balloons make when you burst them and is normally associated with bursting balloons.

Bursting happens when you overflate something, it could be a bag or a tyre which can not hold the pressure and will burst.

Bang is another word to describe the loud sound when something bursts.

As well as descrbing the sound, now pop it is often used as a verb, to pop a balloon.

I have noticed that some translated Japanese descriptions refer to splitting balloons instead of pop or burst.

Comment

• Seidenki
                          • Dec 2016

There are definitely slightly different meanings associated with "pop" versus "bang" versus "burst". Part of this is because "pop" is a verb as well as a noun. So: "I'm about to pop this balloon" works but "I'm about to bang this balloon" does not. "Burst" is also a verb. "I'm about to burst this balloon" also works but sounds a bit formal and old-fashioned.

Professional balloon artists use "break" rather than "pop" or "burst". I don't know why; perhaps it's easier to say.

Comment

• b0f0s0f
                            • Nov 2016

In Chinese:

吹气球 - chuī qì qíu - blow up a balloon (lit. "blow balloon")
                            吹爆气球 - chuī bào qì qíu - blow to pop a balloon (lit. "blow burst balloon")

For instance 她正在吹气球 - tā zhèng zài chuī qì qíu - she (in process of) blowing balloon
                            Last edited by b0f0s0f; 16-02-2020, 09:23.

Comment

• Mike D.
                              • Mar 2020

This is a really great thread to help with youtube searches. Can I also ask how different languages would say, "Balloon Drop". Besides blow to pop, they are my favorite videos to watch.

Thanks,
                              Mike D.

Comment

Working...