Old 26-08-2020, 06:06 AM

BallonBTP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phobics, which experiences made you fear balloon pops?
Hi,

Even though I am only a former phobic I will tell how it happened to me:
The way my phobia started was rather trivial. My parents gave me a balloon to play with, and while I was playing around with it, it suddenly popped with a loud bang. From that moment on I had a balloon phobia. Later it slowly changed 180 degrees, but that's another story.

Greetings
BallonBTP
Old 31-08-2020, 09:49 PM

PBK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Any idea where someone would get one of those Canadian Forces doll balloons...?
They were custom made in Quebec for the Canadian Forces. The best guess I have is the same factory that produced the Tilco/Prestige line of balloons that went defunct in the mid-2000's. They stopped using them in the CF right around the same time Tilco went under and a Supply Tech I knew that I casually asked said they stopped getting them in supply and could no longer get them. I didn't press for further details because I didn't want the conversation to get weird.

I don't know where you would find them. The Canadian Forces rarely ever sold/sells anything military issue to civilians and the control of everything from ammunition and explosives to paper and balloon targets was very strict.
That being said you might be able to find them in a Canadian Army/Navy or surplus store but I bet the chances are very slim. Plus if you did find any chances are they'd be hard and brittle by now.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:09 AM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
When I was around 3, my parents took me to some retirement party that had huge round balloons. There are photos from the event, they were probably thick fluted 16" balloons that were perfectly spherical and jet black. Apparently one or several of them popped, and they were ear-shatteringly loud in the enclosed space. From then on, I was absolutely terrified of balloons. When I hit puberty and developed the fetish, I slowly grew out of the deathly fear, but I still get scared by popping balloons and it makes me nervous when others are handling them. I like popping in principle but I'm usually too scared to do it myself.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Master Over Inflator

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
That would be a very short retirement from the resulting heart attack of one of those things going off!