X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palloncino90
    • Jan 2018

Balloons & fireworks

Hi fellow looners!
    Reading around the forum, I noticed that many of us with the phobia of the balloons bursts even have the phobia of fireworks.
    I assume all these fears are related to the childhood.
    I still have a big phobia with balloon popping although I enjoy watch clips including it, but my fireworks phobia ended soon, rather I like play fireworks and I enjoy to see fireworks shows and when new year eve comes.
    So I'm wondering why my fear of balloons still with me?
    Anyone else have not phobia of fireworks but still having with balloons?
    I want to live surrounded of big and colorful balloons
  • Sl33juhrLooner
    • Jan 2019

Re: Balloons & fireworks

Strangely enough I never had problems with balloons bursting, fireworks however is something completely different. I could never enjoy new years eve at all. I am not saying my phobia for fireworks is over (still won't be outside at new years eve for example).
    Right now I am able to stay calm when there are fireworks at an event I am visiting.

That said, our new years eve can be somewhat of a war zone... we Dutchies tend to go mental.

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

I'm just generally afraid of loud noises. Doesn't matter what causes them. New Years is my least favorite holiday of them all

Comment

• LoudPop
        • Sep 2018

As a kid I had a loud noise phobia. I got over balloons popping when I was in grade school. I didn't get over popping firecrackers/fireworks until I was 19. Since then, both are enjoyed as often as possible. BOOM!

Comment

• Seasidelad
          • Sep 2018

I am not a fan of fireworks don’t like the noise. I do enjoy watching others pop balloons although I don’t pop balloons a lot myself not keen on the sound although I wouldn’t say I have a phobia of popping.

Comment

• Bjorn
            Phobic non-popper
            • Oct 2018

I'm also phobic for the sound of fireworks, so around new years eve I stay at home for a week. Afraid to go outside.

When stores started to sell fireworks for new years eve (28 or 29 December), a lot of children begin to stabbing bangers.

Here in the Netherlands, it is officially only allowed to light fireworks with New Year's Eve, but not everyone keeps to the rules.

Maybe it seems to be strange, but I'm not afraid at new years eve itself. I like to look out the window at midnight enjoying the fireworks in the street. With such a lot of fireworks, I'm no longer afraid of it.

Extremely loud firecrackers, illegal to light in The Netherlands scares me extremely. Luckely, I don't heard them in my surroundings, but some of them sounds like bombs.

Comment

• BYGavia
              • Dec 2017

I’m the same way — fireworks are fine, but I hate bursting balloons.

Comment

• LoonerHans
                • Oct 2018

I just cant tolerate immediate bursts or noises. It just fucking startles me. Yeah, I too am a phobic till date from childhood regarding balloons and fireworks both but I mostly fear from the loud firecrackers like bombs. They just create so much of noise as if a dynamite exploded and strangely people seem to enjoy it. That's something I still can't understand. But I don't fear from the firecrackers which shoot upwards and burst into marvellous colors. It looks beautiful lest u should be far away from it!

In case of balloons...I have started to tolerate seeing b2ps in videos. I was so much phobic tht I would just shut the video before they pop them. But if someone tries it with me in real life I would be outta there. I still cringe when somebody blows a balloon past its limits and the sharp bang just turns me off...

That's why I still can't overinflate balloons and neck them. But I wanna turn tht phobia into something which can turn me on like a girl teasing to pop the balloon by blowing it and keeps on overinflating it.

I hope someday or other I may get rid of this loud noise phobia by watching b2ps in front of me. Tht could instill some courage in me!

But, if scientifically spoken, burst of crackers and balloons can damage the hearing if exposed to it for prolonged time. Hence, this is the reason why I still can't go for bursting balloons or crackers myself. Its crazily loud!
                NECKING IS AWESOME!

Comment

• Loonatic
                  Balloons + Feet
                  • Apr 2016

I'm glad I'm not alone with the fear of fireworks. I used to be very scared of balloons popping and fireworks as well as a child, in my teenage years I started to like popping balloons and didn't like fireworks but as long as I wasn't around where they were being set off I could manage.

But now I have this strange situation where I love popping balloons (the loud sound, the anticipation, all of it) but am deathly afraid of fireworks. I have a bit of PTSD from events in my youth and whenever I hear fireworks going off (or see them close by) it triggers a fierce fight or flight response in me and I either try to get out of the area as quickly as possible or I get very angry and literally ready to fight and it's quite unnerving (although this only happens when I'm alone and I've always been able to control myself). The worst though is when I'm with others where I can't leave and have to put on a happy face and pretend like nothing's wrong, that's when it eats at me inside and I have a panic attack as soon as I get away from the situation (luckily it hasn't happened to me during yet).

Unfortunately, I also live in America where fireworks are practically worshiped in the summertime and always are included in many festivities/events/shows so I'm either missing out on a lot or living in torment due to them. I've not celebrated New Years for some time now and it's a bit of a bummer, I'm usually drugged up in bed early with earplugs in. Alas, I don't know what got screwed up in my wiring along the way but it definitely isn't enjoyable.

Comment

• Black_Hawk
                    • Nov 2014

As child I was absolutely phobic about anything that causes a loud bang. Especially balloons and fireworks. With balloons there was always a fascination at the same time.

In childhood it felt like some strange kind of "I'm scared of balloons but I secretly want to habe some myself." But I was afraid to tell anyone because it was difficult enough for my family to understand the phobia. But understanding that at the same time I want to have balloons... that wouldn't have worked I guess... when puberty started I noticed that something happens down there when I see other boys blowing up or popping balloons although it still scared me and I at least needed to cover my ears.

I started working on it when I was 19 and by now (I'm 28 now) I got over my fear and enjoy even doing b2ps... it still makes me nervous but that's the thrill.

With fireworks it's somehow different. I'm still phobic and don't leave the house for New Year's or in summer when there is a situation that might include firecrackers. The big surpise for me was that a few years ago I noticed that firecrackers started causing the same kind of desire like balloons back then... so I guess I have a fetish for firecrackers too and I'm just at the beginning of a journey somehow similar to balloons... That somehow explains why I couldn't resist watching people outside at New Year's alreday when I was teenager. So I'm still phobic but it's also a huge turn on. Especially the idea of groups of young attractive man enjoying some really loud firecrackers... My fantasies even tend to a desire to "get caught" while being scared and then being teased by sucha group of young, brave guys who enjoy their firecrackers...

Comment

• PMN985
                      • Aug 2021

I have to acclimate myself with fireworks (I have cptsd from violent trauma,) ear plugs typically do the trick when it's those times of year or events, not the whole time just till nerves settle. I enjoy fireworks watching and setting them off aside from that, but my hyper vigilance needs to know they are coming, not a fan of random loud noises

Comment

• som3derp
                        • Oct 2021

I am fine with Fireworks, but still hate balloons bursting. Never (want to be) able to pierce the sexy, thin, bouncy latex skin, it's just way too sexy feeling it and I'd love much more surrendering to it instead of destroying it!

Comment

• CJSweet
                          • Mar 2021

Despite having been phobic as a child, I love popping balloons and the rare occasions where I see an attractive guy popping one (ideally stomping) is a massive turn on.

Fireworks, on the other hand, still terrify me. I can tolerate a proper public display but around the times of year when teenagers on the streets have bangers etc (around Halloween here in NI), I’m a perpetual nervous wreck. I suppose it partly comes with the territory of living in Northern Ireland, though - in the past, loud bangs were seldom a good thing.

HOWEVER fireworks do hold a kind of morbid fascination for me. Like a very attractive colleague recounted one day how his family new years eve party had included fireworks and I have to say the thought of him lighting them - and the thought of him getting (non sexual) satisfaction from the loud bangs - is quite the turn on.

Comment

• DiverDown
                            • Mar 2018

I was terrified of all loud pops and bangs as a young child, which I was told was related to a city fireworks display, so I’d run and hide when it came to fireworks, balloons, and firearms. Over time I adapted to each in different ways and enjoy fireworks (except for the mess) and as a popper I obviously enjoy balloons, but I still have a little anxiety blowing them up, although I guess that’s part of the excitement!

Comment

• Scooter
                              • May 2022

Unlike balloons where I don't like the pop, but I enjoy the slight nervousness that comes from the potential of it, fireworks are an absolute no-no for me. Well, okay, I get the ones used in shows. I can see why people could enjoy those. Fire crackers though that do nothing beyond loudly explode on the ground? Hate them, hate them, hate them!

Don't even like watching fireworks on tv. Want nothing to do with them, personally.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎