Old 21-01-2021, 08:01 PM

JamesPopper is on a distinguished road
Default The sheer fear factor
Wondering if yall could help me with a thing Ive been thinking about, I am more than accustom to being around loud things, loud music, the ring of my anvil when im out blacksmithing, fireworks and grinders. So why is it that the noise of a balloon popping is just this terrifying thing that bothers me to no end? I cant pin point (pun slightly intended) any particular instance that Id consider to be traumatic. Comparatively those noises are far greater than the sound of a pop. Any input welcome, thanks
Old 21-01-2021, 08:36 PM

BlueYoshi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The sheer fear factor
For me, it’s the uncertain timing. If a fire alarm were to go off out of nowhere, I may be a bit startled, but I can attribute the sound to something. It’s over and done with.

However, if I knew it was going to happen soon, I would be on edge. I know it’s coming, but when? It’s the dread.

Last edited by BlueYoshi; 21-01-2021 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 22-01-2021, 07:57 AM

SweetBouncer is on a distinguished road
Apart from the unexpected timing, it could be that while you have accustomed to be around balloons, your inner self maybe still takes the noise of a balloon popping as a threat, as if it was the low and low growl of a big scary animal.
Also a balloon isn't something that could bring that much harm to a person, so that makes the loud noise even less expected. Wich in the end only adds to the fear.
Old 22-01-2021, 02:56 PM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
Kids playing with balloons still freaks me out to be honest. When they really start screeching them at family get together as I’m the one playing with my ear- but what I’m actually doing is hovering a finger over my ear hole in anticipation of a loud bang!

It’s funny isn’t it...... you can easily, and readily pop your own balloons (where you’re in control of the situation) but get all edgy when it’s someone else!

Plus, it’s always the bloody small, regular sized balloons that don’t appeal to me that make the loudest bang that makes jump when it’s unexpected!
Old 23-01-2021, 06:31 AM

Casey88 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by craggy2012 View Post
Kids playing with balloons still freaks me out to be honest. When they really start screeching them at family get together as Iím the one playing with my ear- but what Iím actually doing is hovering a finger over my ear hole in anticipation of a loud bang!

Itís funny isnít it...... you can easily, and readily pop your own balloons (where youíre in control of the situation) but get all edgy when itís someone else!

Plus, itís always the bloody small, regular sized balloons that donít appeal to me that make the loudest bang that makes jump when itís unexpected!
couldnt agree more !
Old 24-01-2021, 04:29 PM

temporary123 is on a distinguished road
Plus, itís always the bloody small, regular sized balloons that donít appeal to me that make the loudest bang that makes jump when itís unexpected!
They do appeal to me, but I agree, they are the loudest. I remember kids tearing down 9" at a wedding, my ears were ringing, I was just shaking and hoping people won't notice haha.
Old 24-01-2021, 08:52 PM

Common Loon is on a distinguished road
Kids playing with balloons still freaks me out to be honest. When they really start screeching them at family get together as Iím the one playing with my ear- but what Iím actually doing is hovering a finger over my ear hole in anticipation of a loud bang!
LOL exactly this. If we're ever at a party together craggy, people might not be able to tell us apart

I agree that what probably has happened with me (and others who feel this way) is that balloons have created a very specific kind of hypervigilance for us. I'd wager that "most" people don't associate balloons with sudden, loud, upsetting pops, or if they do, that's further down their list of associations. So for them, they see a rowdy group of kids grabbing a bunch of balloons off the wall at a party, they think
"Huh. They're just playing. Looks like fun"
and we think
"ohshitthey'regonnapopanysecondit'sgonnapopit'sgon nabesoloudohshitwhen'sitgonnahappenit'sanysecondno wwhydoesn'tanyoneelseseemtocareanysecondnow"

It's like... imagine someone following you around at close range with a rubber band slingshot pulled back and ready to snap you on the shoulder... but you don't know when they're gonna do it, or even if they're gonna do it, but they've done it before and it hurt like the dickens so you're constantly glancing at them and cringing and relieving the tension by rubbing your shoulder, all while trying to pretend none of it is happening and catching only every other word of the conversation you're trying to haSNAP *shit that really hurts!*

In a way it's incredible that this extremely anxious vigilant state can ever morph into something sexually arousing but hey... I'm super glad it does sometimes because I'd never have met you wonderful people