Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PBK
    • Mar 2019

Display Inflatables At Stores.

Anyone else really get aroused by the prospect of getting an inflatable/beach ball that's on display at a store? It's kind of a special quirk of mine. I'll ignore the boxed items for sale on the shelf but man do I want that blown up one hanging from the roof or sitting above the shelf. I've had mixed results asking for the display inflatable. I've never had any luck getting promotional inflatables designed to sell liquor or sunscreen, advertising the Super Bowl above a shelf full of Doritos or anything like that. Usually the distributor retains ownership of the inflatable and it isn't even the retailer's to give away. I have had some results asking for a beach ball/swim ring/orca hanging from the ceiling or on a shelf on display promoting boxed inflatables like it. Usually at the end of summer when the retailers are replacing the summer stuff with "back to school" stuff. Here in Alberta that can be as early as the beginning of August.
    Generally the retailer wants to sell the boxed inflatables and leave the display inflatable hanging up and make it the last one they sell. It can be a bit of work spotting a ladder and undoing the twine or wires holding the inflatable up. I've had some very confused reactions when asking a manager or floor supervisor for display inflatables. Sometimes they outright say "no". Other times they explain they need to sell out of the boxed items first, other times they ask me with a puzzled look why I'd want the blown up one when for the same price I could have a brand new in box item. I've even offered MORE than the retail price for the display inflatable.

Anyway. I'm not sure if I'm alone with this unusual desire.
  • Rey
    • Mar 2019

Re: Display Inflatables At Stores.

The fact you are willing to pay more for a display version rather than a brand new one would easily puzzle most people . What I would like to know is what do they do with promotional inflatables that they no longer need? Sell them? Give them away? Bin them?

Comment

• PBK
      • Mar 2019

Promotional inflatables? I've heard a couple of different things. I've heard the distributor takes them back, I've heard the distributor lets the retailer just keep it and I've heard the distributor destroys the inflatable. Why they'd destroy it rather than allowing someone that really wants it as a neat novelty item/mancave attraction to just have it, puzzles me! Probably that big "L" word (Liability!) plays into it somehow.

Comment

• Seasidelad
        • Sep 2018

Sometimes it is up to the retailer but others have to be returned or destroyed liability I suppose. I had this years ago when some off licences had a large punch/ bop bag for rugby and I asked a few but no one would give them up. You had to buy the beer and get the inflatable.

Rarely do I see other inflatables except usually when on holiday. They have a few promotional like Nivea had small beach balls last year in my area. If it is a hot country I love seeing heatstretched inflatables on display.

Comment

• PBK
          • Mar 2019

Buy beer and get an inflatable? Sounds like a win/win to me!
          Where do I sign up?
          I'm with you on the heatstretched display inflatables. There's something desirable and sexy about them.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
            Banned
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by PBK
            I've heard the distributor takes them back, I've heard the distributor lets the retailer just keep it and I've heard the distributor destroys the inflatable. Why they'd destroy it rather than allowing someone that really wants it as a neat novelty item/mancave attraction to just have it, puzzles me! Probably that big "L" word (Liability!) plays into it somehow.
            You've answered your own question, I think.

It comes down to this:
            1) If the item has a company's name/logo on it, (be it a balloon, an inflatable, a piece of promo poster advertising something, or something else entirely), they own that item. Many companies, simply won't let members of the public have them, no matter what, because - as you say - liability. They can't guarantee that at some point further down the road, that product won't be used for something silly, dangerous, stupid, or illegal, and if it were to be, even hypothetically-speaking, then their product with their logo or name on it could become erroneously linked with that negative event, and they'll then be forever linked to that event, even if they had nothing to do with it.

2) Some companies simply aren't legally allowed to give stuff away, even when the sales reps/stores say they'd like to do so. Again, liability and laws are the issue here. Some of these companies have policies in place, that says any promotional item must come back to the headquarters or local office, in case it may be needed again, or simply so it can be destroyed.

3) Some companies have been bitten on the backside, proverbially-speaking, in the past. They've allowed someone to have something, and then discovered it being sold online for money, or being misused. They're not willing to risk that happening again, so they now ban anyone from every having anything of their's ever again.

4) Some other companies, are just miserable, mean-spirited so-and-so's. No matter what the item is, or how trivial it is to them, they simply won't let anyone else have it, and would rather destroy or discard an item, then let a fan have it. You could offer them a million pounds/dollars for it, and they'd still deny you. I've seen companies deny me balloons, even after offering a donation, and then seen them pop the balloons, so that no one gets them! (However, I got my revenge, and complained to the company's head office, who then wanted to know why two staff popped balloons that were company property, not that of the shop's, and the staff got into trouble, and I got a Gift Card. LOL)

I see this all the time. Companies give-out branded freebies, e.g. balloons, mini-inflatable balls, inflatable hammers, or other such soft toys, and then see them being discarded in public places, and they become liable for the clean-up costs associated with it. Companies are now unwilling to risk it! So they make it a carte-blanche rule that no one gets anything, no matter what. One person's stupidity ruins it for everyone. Helium balloons are now almost never given out, because companies don't want to risk being sued for a little child letting one go, and having that balloon land in a field or in the sea/ocean.

So, they no longer give out stuff, to anyone, ever!

It's very frustrating, especially if you've demonstrated you CAN be trusted, and it's worth a company being nice to you, as you reciprocate to them. (I do this with film posters. My local cinema lets me request whichever ones I want, and I make a donation for each one they give me, with the money going to their chosen charity each year. They get £5 per poster, and I probably donate about £50 or more each year, in total. It's a win-win for them, and they know that I won't try to sell these online for profit, because that's not the kind of person I am.)

It goes back to what you and I have said before: ask nicely, cultivate a relationship with that store/company/person, build-up trust, offer a donation, and then hope that they will let you have the item you want, be it inflatables or balloons.
            Last edited by BalloonBoyUK; 27-06-2019, 14:01.

Comment

• PBK
              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by BalloonBoyUK
              You've answered your own question, I think.

It comes down to this:
              1) If the item has a company's name/logo on it, (be it a balloon, an inflatable, a piece of promo poster advertising something, or something else entirely), they own that item. Many companies, simply won't let members of the public have them, no matter what, because - as you say - liability. They can't guarantee that at some point further down the road, that product won't be used for something silly, dangerous, stupid, or illegal, and if it were to be, even hypothetically-speaking, then their product with their logo or name on it could become erroneously linked with that negative event, and they'll then be forever linked to that event, even if they had nothing to do with it.
              It all comes back to the post I made a month or so ago about misprinted company logo balloons that I really have a soft spot for. The printing company would rather throw them away and take a loss than get sued by the client if they sell the balloons without permission to joe blow public member and the balloon with McDonalds' logo winds up choking Flipper to death.

Comment

• Seasidelad
                • Sep 2018

What is surprising now with all the attention on plastic waste that reusing rather than destroying would be better for the environment.

I brought back a lilo from my holiday last year a clear one made by Intex. If I don’t use it I will use the vinyl as spare to patch up other inflatables that I have. It seems a shame to waste when others can use again. Even popped inflatables are good for me I patch them up and use again and again.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Seasidelad
                  What is surprising now with all the attention on plastic waste that reusing rather than destroying would be better for the environment.

I agree, irrespective of whether it's a balloon or an inflatable toy. It seems spiteful to just waste it so that someone else can't enjoy it. But sadly, in this day-and-age, we live in a time when companies and businesses don't seem to care much about wastage of anything. Their only concern, is making sure that they aren't liable for anything, and if that means popping some balloons and destroying some inflatables, then they'll do that to protect "their rights"!

This is why I always cultivate relationships with local businesses who have balloons/inflatables. Let them think you are doing them a favour, and make sure you are their first port-of-call when it comes to occasions when they have balloons/inflatables. Do that, and it can pay dividends!

They think you're doing them a favour, when in fact, it's they who are doing you a huge one, and it's worth every penny/cent!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎