Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarah
    • May 2024

New article on the dangers of popping.

A common birthday party favor can blow up into a problem for children -- but also a bigger conversation about hearing loss, say University of Alberta researchers.

This is a story of how loud a balloon is to pop. If you are Canadian, your government doesn't want you to B2P as it is too loud. But cute guy b2p in this video as well.
  • PBK
    • Mar 2019

Re: New article on the dangers of popping.

For our monthly safety meeting at work, we did a topic on noise and the dangers to hearing and on the decibel chart balloons were right up there with a shotgun report.
    Being an ex infantry soldier with 10 years service and jump qualified I am no stranger to noise. And my hearing is very bad for my age. Having shooting as a hobby doesn't help either. I double up on hearing protection every time I am exposed to noise. Recreationally or occupationally.

Comment

• wildheart
      • Apr 2015

I don’t know what balloons they used but to be 4 dB louder than a shotgun seem excessive. The only way to get that result I can think of, is to have the decimetre pretty much touching the balloon.
      How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
      My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Black_Bear
        • May 2013

Originally posted by wildheart
        I don’t know what balloons they used but to be 4 dB louder than a shotgun seem excessive. The only way to get that result I can think of, is to have the decimetre pretty much touching the balloon.
        It was close. They also used Qtex balloons.

Comment

• Sarah

:-) boom. So nice. So long as someone else is blowing.

Comment

• Kiltieman
            • Jan 2014

It was a balloon popping gthat started me on the big circle of balloon fetish and fear. I was about 5yo and my mum had blown a big yellow balloon up and drew a face on it. We patted it around for ages until pum..pum..BANG!!
            I was traumatised. My fear of balloons for years after was actually a fear of the anticipation of the balloon popping without warning.
            The point of this is that I can see the obvious damage to hearing but also psychological damage in some cases like mine.

Comment

• frankfrank
              Empathetic Harmonizer
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by PBK
              on the decibel chart balloons were right up there with a shotgun report.
              That is why I'm careful about what I do with balloons in a hotel room (topic of another thread). I always think it's possible the police might be called, because the neighboring room might think somebody is shooting.
              People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• Loonyguy2020
                • Mar 2020

Danger of popping is not only a matter of noise level but the shards which can reach U at a high speed and still in retraction. One BTP session (I was obliged to because of a challenge) was a bad experience for me since I was injured at the eye (internal bleeding). Well recovered and just a bad souvenir.
                So wearing earplugs and popping-googles should be safer ... for the hard-poppers

Comment

• PompousBalloon
                  • Mar 2020

I mistakenly blew to pop a Tuftex 36" and I can say that it wasn't good for my ears.
                  I got shocked and dizzy and my ears were ringing. I'm not a popper but it was actually an interesting experience all though I would not want to do it again
                  Maybe try sitpop some day

Comment

• lincy
                    • Apr 2019

The articles were very interesting to read.
                    Helium Tank

Comment

Working...