Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Rock
    • Mar 2017

Bad experience trying to overinflate a 11 inch balloon

Hi. I don't usually play with balloons but I tried 2 weeks ago to overinflate a typical 11 inch balloon with my steam pressure cleaner. It didn't work... I'm not sure why, but I tried several times to do it (inflating / deflating) and the balloon didn't grow up as expected. It didn't even became softer. It just got wet and with water inside. I'm a "rider" but I can't pop balloons since I'm scared of the bang. However, I like to ride and sit pop beachballs and usually enjoy a loud and dry bang on them.

What do you think was wrong? I know I can boil them (I tried once) but I thought this was a better method. Moreover, I usually overinflate my beachballs by this and it works fantastic.
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: Bad experience trying to overinflate a 11 inch balloon

For stretching balloons what works best for me is baking them in the oven. Heat it to 290°F, and once it's preheated put the balloons in on a baking sheet for 5-15 minutes depending on how stretchy you want them to be. Make sure that it's a new balloon, used ones tend to become too weak. Blow it up as soon as you can once you take it out, while it's still warm (It takes less than a minute for them to cool down enough to hold)

Comment

• someloonerguy
      • Aug 2016

OverTheTop's suggestion of baking works well for stretching. I baked some Tuf Tex 17 inchers last night. Look at how much it swelled while remaining very soft, stretchy, and stable.
      Attached Files

Comment

• OverTheTop
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by someloonerguy
        OverTheTop's suggestion of baking works well for stretching. I baked some Tuf Tex 17 inchers last night. Look at how much it swelled while remaining very soft, stretchy, and stable.
        Glad to hear it worked, how long did you bake them for?

Comment

• someloonerguy
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by OverTheTop
          Glad to hear it worked, how long did you bake them for?
          About 12 minutes. Worked well for some, but others were of questionable quality and didn't fare so well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good time for the Amscan 24 inch. Tried 12 minutes and they weren't affected. 20 minutes made them extremely weak and caused pinched latex to happen, which was fatal. Just tried 15 minutes, gonna see what happens.

Comment

• OverTheTop
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by someloonerguy
            About 12 minutes. Worked well for some, but others were of questionable quality and didn't fare so well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good time for the Amscan 24 inch. Tried 12 minutes and they weren't affected. 20 minutes made them extremely weak and caused pinched latex to happen, which was fatal. Just tried 15 minutes, gonna see what happens.
            Generally I've found that if it takes longer than 15 minutes the latex is pretty low quality and won't stretch very well anyways.

You can try some other methods though. Blow them up nice and tight a couple times, and then try baking them. Also, after blowing them up a few times, you can try putting them in a ziploc bag in a clothes dryer on high heat for about 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎