X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BusterBill
    Founder, Balloon Buddies
    • Nov 2016

Tilly Workers

In the good old days of my youth, before most of you were born -- probably before even your parents were born (LOL) -- they had these huge 9-foot long knobby balloons that balloon vendors used at traveling carnivals to get everybody's attention. The balloon vendor would then sell a much small version of the balloon, dupeing hapless buyers who expected get a huge 12-inch diameter by 9-foot long balloon.

The huge balloons were made by a company called Tilly and were called "workers" because they were used to "work the crowd".

Recently the company has revived the manufacture of the Tilly Worker and is selling them on eBay. I just got a few and I'm pleased with the vintage style original latex formula (natural latex is very different than the chemistry of today's modern balloon formula; it's a lot stretchier but not nearly as durable ). I am super excited at the size of these things.

I'll try to attach a pic.
    Attached Files
  • LoonerPlanet
    • Nov 2018

Re: Tilly Workers

Boy, do Tillys bring back memories. I, too, remember the Tilly's being sold at fairs, ball parks and even on the street. As a kid, these were one of my first "furtive" balloon purchases. I accidentally blew to pop one that I purchased because I tried to make it as long as a worker. I was measuring the height and remember that it reached 6 foot 1 inch before it was no more.

I think it was from kaboomballoons that I finally purchased a real worker balloon. Those days they came in various colors and were great fun to inflate. The new ones are only in crystal yellow. I purchased a package and safely inflated the balloon to over 8 feet long. Still great fun. If we looners keep buying them, the Tilly folks may consider producing the workers in other colors. At least, we can only hope.

Comment

• numpty1
      • Apr 2020

Makes my heart race all over again when I see a fully inflated Tilly Worker waiting to be worked......

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
        • Jul 2017

I remember those fondly from parades when I was a kid. My dad let us buy the slim jims that looked like the workers, but boy, did I want one of the big ones!

Comment

• Eastlooner
          • Apr 2019

I still have 2 old Tilly workers bought from Kaboom 7-8 years ago. They are waiting... I had bought a pack of pink ones on ebay last year, but was disappointed with their size and quality. They came in original factory foil, but popped easily before reaching rated size...

Comment

• drifloony1
            • Jun 2020

That is so interesting to know about the history of the tilly worker. Thank you for sharing ! I tried to google pictures of tilly workers as i am curious to see what the fair venders looked like but all that shows up is looner stuff LOL (can’t complain). I also still have one larger worker and a bunch of the smaller ones ordered from Kaboomballoons about 5-6 years ago. Not sure if they are the actual tilly workers as mine don’t have those really awesome coloured stripes printed on them.

Comment

• drifloony1
              • Jun 2020

Originally posted by LoonerPlanet
              I accidentally blew to pop one that I purchased because I tried to make it as long as a worker. I was measuring the height and remember that it reached 6 foot 1 inch before it was no more.
              Oh dear, hope you were ok.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍