Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM

Loon119 is on a distinguished road
Default Hand pump
Hi all is it possible to do a blow to pop with a hand pump. Been toying with the idea of putting a balloon on a hand pump and pumping til it pops in my pants but didn't know if pulling the handle back brings out air from the Balloon. I'll be using the pump with one hand
Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 PM

wildheart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hand pump
Of course it works. Might be a little slow with a small pump, but it’ll go bang eventually.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 PM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
Yes. I used a handpump the first few times I blew balloons till they popped on purpose.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Slugamano is on a distinguished road
It's a bit slow and boring.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Nopops4me is on a distinguished road
Depends whether you want a quick bang or an adrenaline rush with anticipation of when it's going to pop
Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Blowitbig is on a distinguished road
I have an electric pump that pumps my big balloons up quickly, but its quite loud ,is there a quieter balloon pump out there i can purchase,
Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Nopops4me is on a distinguished road
Which pump have you got so we know what to compare with for noise
Old 02-02-2019, 02:04 PM

Blowitbig is on a distinguished road
Its says model _HT-507. <90db
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 PM

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Most electric or battery air pumps are going to be loud, I'm afraid due to the pressure that has to be created to inflate a balloon. I'm sure we've all seen videos on YouTube or the like, featuring people using cheapo electric pumps that can't even blow-up a tiny 9" balloon without a lot of hassles. That's because the pressure simply isn't strong-enough to inflate them. You need a lot of pressure. I don't know what the amount is, as I'm not a scientist/technical person, but the pressure needs to be substantial, and inverse to the pressure of the balloon (rubber/latex) compressing the air out of it. If the pressure going in isn't as strong as the pressure that a balloon exerts when it is being inflated, then the balloon won't inflate.

Whilst you can buy quieter pumps, most decent ones are noisy, because they have more oomph in them, as they're designed to inflate "professional quality" (or what we all know as "branded") balloons, like Qualatex, Tufftex, Cattex, et al. These same pumps also need to be able to blow up a lot of balloons per hour, and be capable of inflating balloons upto 6ft/72" in size, at a decent speed - which is what most balloon decorators need. Noise is only an issue if it's deafening - which for us looners is the main issue. But for a decorator, noise is less of a factor.

I've got two inflators:
1) a Zibbi Z-32 single pump, that can be used to inflate balloons as you press on the nozzle, or emit a constant stream of air. (Costs approximately 70-100 in English Sterling!)

And one of these....

2) https://bit.ly/2GoT5NV
It has two nozzles, that can run independently or together, or you can have them run off a timer, so that they release a set amount of air, so you can size all of your balloons the same. (I like to only use one nozzle at a time though, as whilst it's not cheap, it's not going to be a pump you can use for hours at a time!)

Both are pretty noisy, and will sound about as loud as some small vacuum cleaners/hoovers, I'm afraid. There's no real way to minimise the amount of noise, as they need to be kept uncovered, to help keep the airflow going around them, so they don't overheat! In the case of Pump 2 above, this gets warm very quickly, and then starts pumping hot air into the balloons you inflate. (I don't know if that's good, bad or otherwise!)

If you can afford it, get Zibbi pumps, as they're the industry standards in balloon decorating, but - alas - they're also very expensive. However, they are amazing pumps!

Other people use vacuum cleaners that have switches on them, that reverses the airflow from sucking to blowing, but not many do this these days. Plus, they're still noisy!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:19 PM

srob2 is on a distinguished road
You can also get an air compressor - like for car tires or air tools. Very loud filling the tank, but then almost silent.