Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tesla
    • Oct 2019

I recently designed my own TPU air mattress

Hi, unfortunately most of the PVC and nylon air mats fail after some time of use and they are often to small and uncomfortable. So I designed my own one of thick (0.35 mm) TPU foil. Now I have it for sale on Amazon.

All the documentation and the Amazon listing you can find here:

Currently I focused on the European market. I don't know if it is purchasable from other countries. The entire handling is done by Amazon

Do you already have TPU inflatables? Are you interested in other custom TPU inflatables?
  • Tesla
    • Oct 2019

Re: I recently designed my own TPU air mattress

Yes this is the very first product I sell on Amazon, also using Amazon FBA using the first time.

The process for this kind of products and Amazon FBA was new to me. I asked many production companies on Alibaba. First time I ordered a custom 0.35 mm TPU sample of an already available PVC air mattress: 160 USD

Second time I chose another production company with nearly the current design. This hasn't had this round corners. It had 0.25 mm TPU and cheaper valves: 153 USD

The last prototype has been produced by the first company again with 0.35 mm TPU. It had one corner not being round (fault by the company). This prototype was 240 USD. For this prototype I created a document in LaTeX with all drawings and technical facts. I also created the package printing for the product carton box in LaTeX. All this took many months full time equivalent.

After that I ordered 250 pcs (MOQ) with 15.85 USD per pcs and let QIMA do the compliance tests. A lot of logistics (Forto, TCI), and missing knowledge later (ATC numbers, organization of transportation) I had 150 pcs at home and 100 pcs in Amazon warehouse. This is around 30 EUR per pc, but sending it to customers, handling via Amazon FBA, marketing and other costs kick in.

Comment

• Tesla
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by onemoreblow
      It sounds like a lot of expense and risk if starting out.
      Yes

What did they look for in compliance?
      It is mostly product safety compliance. This includes chemical and mechanical tests. I made the airbed for overnight sleep, camping etc. If you make one for using on water, warning symbols must be added. They are also checked by QIMA.

Making sure taxes/duties/fees were paid?
      This was not checked by QIMA. They can check some of these things, also child labor. But german import taxes and duties were handled by Forto.

Or did they check the product itself, like being able to trace where the materials originated from?
      Yes they checked the product, but not, where the material came from.

My worry is having perfectly good products on hand with a missing document or some other compliance issue, and not be able to legally sell anything. That would be an expensive lesson for someone like me with limited resources.
      Missing documents may not be a problem. You can get them later. You can give the product to QIMA, Degra or TÜV for the tests. And some documents you have to create yourself. If it is a toy for use in water or an electrical pump is integrated, then you need CE with declaration of compliance. Both things are done by you. If the product itself is OK, so you will be able to get all needed documents.

I'm working with someone who is trying to make custom balloons and it is a struggle if not for the language barrier. I have been making and sending him custom balloon formers to experiment with but eventually he will have to get ceramic copies made. He's also working with a compounder on a different latex formula than is normally used, so that also has to be handled logistically to arrive around the same time as the formers, and then run a large enough batch to offset the waste and overhead. It's a tough gig.
      It sounds not very expensive at the first time. I think 500 USD all in are possible for the sample batch.

Any advice on communicating or did you find they mostly exchanged in English or another language also? This whole thing is kind of a dream but to me it's more proof it can be done but a lot of work as you said. Maybe not so much about making money but at least breaking even would be nice.
      English only is enough. They may use google translator also. I think the dream is not so far away. Try it out.

Comment

• lilolover82
        • Mar 2014

Tesla I like the design, I just wish you’d used a valve other than quick release. I hate when they go flat quickly
        Washington State, United States

Comment

• Tesla
          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by lilolover82
          Tesla I like the design, I just wish you’d used a valve other than quick release. I hate when they go flat quickly
          You can use the inflation valve and stick a small drinking straw or toothpick in it. So it deflates very slow.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎