Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • balloonboy81
    • Oct 2016

Rescued Balloons

I'd like to start a new thread for people who like to go out and rescue balloons from places like restaurants, car dealerships, malls, ect. And also to get people to share what they do with those balloons and your experiences with"rescuing" balloons and give some people some tips about how you do it

For me my favorite place to rescue balloons from are car dealerships. I notice in my city that the dealerships put out balloons on every Saturday so i go a few hours when they close at 5pm and since they are closed on sundays i know that no one will be missing them. There's 2 dealerships i usually go to. 1 of them usually put out 24 inch helium balloons on their cars by the road and the other puts out 17 inch balloons with helium on their front cars.
  • Seasidelad
    • Sep 2018

Re: Rescued Balloons

I suppose it depends where you live. I used to collect loads doing this although not car dealers as the balloons weren’t good by the end of the day or they had already disposed of them. In the UK balloons aren’t as easily available and generally smaller like 9 ins in size. Saturdays usually the best day to go out get free balloons some malls had loads in restaurants and shops. I have taken hundreds over the years the bigger and more inflated the better for me.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
      Banned
      • Dec 2018

If by "rescuing" you mean stealing, please don't do this. It's just morally unacceptable, and not a cool thing to do. Ask first, and get someone's approval. They may only be balloons, but they're still not yours to just take, no matter what the reasons.

If you mean you ask first, and get told "yes, you can have them", then that's fine.

Comment

• Chevyhellraiser
        • Jun 2019

I love rescuing balloons. I went into a huge party place today that has party rooms, games, food and more. They had large bundles of mylar helium balloons tied at the entrance. As I walked around, there was a white balloon sword in the trash. I rescued it and continued walking around. One of the party hostess ladies was cleaning up a room after the party. As I walked by, I saw her deflating some perfect red helium 12" balloons with a fork. I asked her if I could have them and she happily gave me the rest. She wasn't popping them, but using the time to punch small holes at the bottom and squeezing the air out of them. I managed to grab the 3 she had deflated and thrown on top of the trash and I went to the next hall, I found 3 helium balloons that had floated into a light. There were 2 pink and white ones with stripes and a gold leopard print one. I managed to reach them with the help of a chair and added them to my collection. There was a huge helium arch at the end of the hall, all dark green. As I walked by a bunch of people were popping it. They left about half the balloons and were gathering up to leave. I kept walking into the game room. In the game room, there was a pretty lady with dark hair carrying around a huge bunch of 16" pink and purple Frozen print balloons. I walked over by the trash can and managed to save a 16" clear full of confetti air blown and a deflated yellow smiley face. I was about to head out and the lady with the dark hair let the balloons go. The floated up and hung on a lamp. She laughed and they left. I managed to jump high enough to grab the ribbon and saved them. As I was heading out, I saw two girls popping the rest of the green balloon arch. One has pink air 270s and was slowly stepping on them till they popped and the other was sitting on them. As I headed to the door one of the workers opened the door for me and thanked me for taking the balloons so they dont have to pop all of them. I dont get out often but love rescuing them, asking for them and saving them. My favorites are asking for then as someone is popping them or about to or saving them from the trash. I'll try to share more stories if anyone would like to hear them. I love reading rescue stories as well.

Comment

• balloonboy81
          • Oct 2016

Another good time was little under a year ago. I was living in Ottawa Canada for a few months and while i was up there i familarized myself with the dealerships that would put out balloons and man they would put some out almost every day at one point. Even if i wouldnt rescue them they would put new ones up. One time after i waited till they closed, i was able to rescue 3 24 inch and 4 17inch full of helium. I was hard pretty much the whole drive back home. Sadly though while i was living in Ottawa i lived with my dad in my aunt's basement and i didnt really have a door cause my "room" was just a corner of the basement and my dad had his own room right by me so i had zero privacy. Its a shame to cause there were sooo many times i was driving home back seat full of oxidized helium balloons knowing i cant really play with them in my bed.

Comment

• PBK
            • Mar 2019

I always ask. I never steal. If I ask and they say yes....BONUS! If they say no...oh well. It sucks but life goes on.
            It's such a huge rush to get a bunch of balloons after a function that would otherwise be popped. A little restaurant I eat at near my Houston office uses balloons all the time and one of the waitresses saves some for me every time they clean up. I take them to the room I stay in and lock them in my closet when I fly back to Calgary. I haven't gotten any in awhile just because she can't save them for more than a day or 2 and the timing has been crappy lately, but it's the thought that counts.
            I get them from my daughter's functions from time to time.
            My wife occasionally brings balloons home from her work whenever they have an open house or a big birthday party.

Comment

• Mysticforest767
              • Sep 2019

yes I understand that's its wrong to "steal" balloons but they aren't gonna miss them if anything we are making their job easier, and we are reducing the amount of latex that ends up in the environment each year.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                Banned
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Mysticforest767
                yes I understand that's its wrong to "steal" balloons but they aren't gonna miss them if anything we are making their job easier, and we are reducing the amount of latex that ends up in the environment each year.

Umm, NO, it's theft - pure and simple! No if's, no but's, no maybe's about it! What you are doing is taking something that does not belong to you, and to which you have no legitimate right to.

Please don't be one of those people who tries to justify theft of balloons. If you take it, and you've not been given permission to do so, it's theft/stealing!

DO NOT DO THIS! You wouldn't like it, if someone took something of yours, without your permission, so please don't do it to others. Ask first, and accept the response you get, even if it's a "no"!

This is NOT something anyone should be needing to have explained to them!
                Last edited by BalloonBoyUK; 03-09-2019, 12:24.

Comment

• Loonorm
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Mysticforest767
                  Agree with BalloonBoyUK on this one. It’s entirely wrong to steal the balloons. Sure, they would only wind up being released, discarded, popped, etc., but they’re not your balloons. Imagine the humiliation that you would face if caught by the police, and had to explain yourself as to where you got them from. With the 24/7 video surveillance these days, you are constantly being watched. There was an episode of COPS, about 10 years ago. They were riding with the Amarillo, New Mexico police department, and watched someone, as they were walking, take about 1/2 dozen or so balloons from a dealership. Sure, it was a Sunday, and the dealership was closed, but still, the police stopped them, asked many questions, and then made them return the balloons back to the dealership. In the meantime, the police took everyone’s information, gave them a verbal warning, and entered everything into their system. That’s a ‘red flag’, so next time they encounter the police, it’s on their record. Ask before taking, please.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Loonorm
                    Agree with BalloonBoyUK on this one. It’s entirely wrong to steal the balloons. Sure, they would only wind up being released, discarded, popped, etc., but they’re not your balloons.

Thanks, Loonorm.

Also, there have been occasions when the balloons may be being kept for staff, or for some other usage later on, which you may not be aware of. I've had this occur, when I've been told "Yes" I can have some balloons; have gone back to collect them, only to be told "Sorry, but these are now being kept for something/someone else" or being given to a staff member, or a child, or something similar.

Internally, I may be upset, but outwardly, I just politely say "That's okay. Maybe next time?" give the store staff a smile, then leave.

It's annoying, but ultimately, whatever anyone thinks, and whatever the tiny cost might be to the shop/company, they're still not your balloons to just take, even if you are almost-certain that they'll be popped/destroyed.

All you can do is ask, and be polite about whatever the response/outcome is. No, means no. It doesn't mean "Come steal them", and there's no excuse for stealing anything in this day-and-age. Especially not something trivial like a balloon, and then having to explain that to the police or store's security.

Please, all looners, if you want a store's display balloons/inflatables, just go and ask them about it. Most will say "Yes" if you're not weird about it, but never, ever, under any circumstances steal them - no matter what!!!

It's NOT right, and you never know who may be watching you. If you get caught, you may end-up being banned from the store/the store complex or end-up having to explain yourself to the cops/police!

Comment

• LoonLover1999

I agree too. Balloons cost money, if they are helium filled it costs to inflate them too. To simply take them without permission is theft.

To some a balloon is insignificant to take but it would be different if it was say a car. To take a car without consent is known to UK police as TWOK or taking without consent.

If you get consent feel free to take balloons but don’t just nick them.

Comment

• Loonorm
                        • Mar 2019

I know that it’s been a few days since anyone has posted anything on this thread, but I wanted to add something that might be of interest to everyone. People have mentioned that they want to ‘steal’ balloons from car dealerships, stores, etc., only because the ultimate end of the balloons will be bursting them. It has been brought up a couple of times that all anyone needs to do is ask. You never know...you might just get lucky, and score some pretty nice balloons! I have a personal experience, now, by just asking. I have ‘made friends’ with the lady who runs the floral department at a local JEWEL food store. Last year, for my birthday, I purchased some two dozen latex balloons for myself (they were not birthday balloons, but plain ones). She asked what I intended to do with them, and I told her flat out that I was going to take them home, play with them, and ultimately pop them. She kinda laughed, and then out of the blue, asked if I wanted more! I said ‘SURE!’, and what’s the catch? No catch, just had to get rid of some mylars that were not needed, and I could have them for 50 cents each, as it would save her time by not having to destroy them, and then knowing that someone would enjoy them. So now, after every holiday, I will go back to the JEWEL, and ‘rescue’ as many mylar balloons that I can. Occasionally will even get some latex ones also! I have, also, purchased some extra balloons, just to make it look good. Another ‘score’ that I have had recently, has been with realtors and open houses! Within the last 6 months, I have collected at least 40+ balloons from a few realtors! If I happen across an open house, and there are balloons, I will find a chance to go to the house and ask them what their intentions are with the balloons. I will then ask if I could have them when they are done with them. I actually had one call me a couple of times saying that she was having an open house, and was using balloons. All I needed to do was help her gather her signs up, let her keep her clips, and then I could keep the balloons! I would get there about 10 minutes after closing, driving around, gathering her signs up, bringing them back to her office, and going home with quite a few balloons! All you need to do is ask... I have yet to get the nerve up to do so at a car dealership, however...

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2018

Well done, Loonorm!

It's far better to ask, and as long as people are honest (and don't mention that they want balloons for anything sexual), most organisations, stores and businesses will often let people have their balloons for nothing, or in exchange for just a bit of help/a donation to charity.

Considering these balloons would go to waste - literally and figuratively - then, I think it's better that people ask and get, than steal. You never know, when asking might end-up striking gold and getting something far better in the long-term.

I have an arrangement with one particular local store, which has been in place for a few years now, and I've had hundreds of helium balloons from them! Sometimes, it'll be a bunch of 70 or more. Othertimes, it'll just be four or five. But each-and-every-one of those balloons would simply have been popped and thrown in the bin. All were 10"-11" balloons. And boy, when you score and get a big bunch of free balloons, the enjoyment factor is huge!

Now that the store gets a small charitable financial donation from me, in exchange for the balloons, and I get to take them home. That's a win-win in my view!

I have similar arrangements with several stores/businesses near me, and the staff know me as "The Balloon Guy". But you know what? That's fine by me. I see it as doing them a favour, and I get free balloons out of it - which in my eyes, is a massive deal in my favour. I've also had 18" helium-filled mylars, and larger Mylar Orbs as well. With other places, I've even been lucky enough to get 3 foot air-filled Qualatex rounds on a few occasions. The worst someone can do, is say "No, sorry".

That's it.

But, most, will probably say "Yes", as long as you don't act weird and get all pissy about it. So, always, always ask, because taking just a minute or two to do so, may just be the best thing you ever did, and could end up being really beneficial to you!
                          Last edited by BalloonBoyUK; 14-09-2019, 12:42.

Comment

• PBK
                            • Mar 2019

I get lots of balloons for free by simply asking.
                            Most of the time we overthink it. Balloons are just another daily object to most people to be used and discarded. Therefore most people look at it like you're doing them a favor by taking their balloons (after asking, first, of course). This saves them the hassle of disposing of them and usually they look at it as a win-win if they are informed the balloons are going to be given to my children (which is a half-truth). I used to be very shy about asking, but once I realized that most people don't care, it became a lot easier. Most times people I ask don't even question it, and even thank me. I've run into a few instances where it was "take them all or take none" and I've had a very large amount to take in multiple trips.

I've only been turned down a handful a times. Sometime I've gotten a reason. Sometimes not. I never question it or get upset. I just say "thanks anyway" and move on.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2018

Woohoo!

Simply by asking, being polite, and offering a small cash donation to charity, I've just scored 13 x 18 inch purple foil helium heart balloons. The two ladies who helped me get them, were very kind, and they were happy for me to take them all off of their hands, rather than have the balloons wasted or popped.

I'm a very happy bunny.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍