X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whale Rider
    • Nov 2022

Re: Inflatables filled with hydrogen?

Originally posted by blowhyoooge
    sounds like a way to earn a darwin award!!!!!
    seems so...

Comment

• jaksendan
      • Feb 2023

Hydrogen has a lot of potential. It is the lightest element and can be easily converted into electricity. The only problem I can see with hydrogen is that it's pretty expensive to store and transport in large quantities. Why not make use of the cost of storing hydrogen to fill your “Inflatable Toys filled with hydrogen?”

Comment

• georgebayer_1
        • Jan 2015

Never try it, please. There is one single sparkle by static electricity enough and your inflatable destroys a half of Your town.

Comment

• Whale Rider
          • Nov 2022

Originally posted by georgebayer_1
          Never try it, please. There is one single sparkle by static electricity enough and your inflatable destroys a half of Your town.
          nah only the poor guy holding it... but that is bad enough...

Comment

• PVC Vinyl Enthusiast
            PVC Fetish
            • Jan 2013

LOL, incidentally, I have actually done this, but with a latex balloon. As someone who loves chemistry, I've generated hydrogen by dropping aluminium foil (crumpled into tight 'balls') into sodium hydroxide-based drain cleaner. Over the neck of the large glass bottle, I placed a latex balloon and allowed the hydrogen gas issuing from the reaction between the aluminium and dilute sodium hydroxide solution to fill up the balloon. Once the balloon inflated to desired size, I removed it from the neck of the bottle and tied it. I then let go of the balloon and it floated straight up skyward. In actual fact, it works better than helium, as hydrogen is lighter. Obviously, though, helium is the preferred gas as it is inert and has no flammability/explosion hazard associated with it (look at what happened to the Hindenberg!). Now, this is not something I'd recommend anyone attempting unless you know what you are doing and are familiar with the nature of the chemicals (the sodium hydroxide and hydrogen; aluminium foil itself is rather harmless) and potential hazards. But, yes, it does work- for latex balloons at least. The small volume of hydrogen in a standard-sized (i.e. small) latex balloon will not do anyone any harm other than make a sudden loud bang (and give you a fright) if its reaction with oxygen (in air) was accidentally initiated by a spark, flame or even static electricity (yes, static can set off a hydrogen-air mix). There is a risk of the bang damaging your hearing if you are close to the balloon and the hydrogen-air mix inside was accidentally set off (no matter how careful you are to exclude air, there will be traces of air (oxygen) present- enough to react with the hydrogen if an ignition source- including static electricity- set it off). However, attempting to fill large inflatables or larger-sized balloons with hydrogen is particulaly dangerous due to the larger volume of hydrogen gas. Latex balloons and PVC inflatables are very good at generating static electricity on their surface- see for yourself by rubbing a latex balloon against your clothing; you'll see that bits of paper, dust, etc, will cling to the electrically charged surface of the balloon. So, due to the high risk of a spark from a static electric discharge, I do not recommend that anyone try filling even a small balloon with hydrogen.
            Last edited by PVC Vinyl Enthusiast; 19-02-2023, 21:40.
            Enjoy soft, shiny and smooth PVC (inflatables and clothing). The 6P-free/10P-free material is total rubbish.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎