Old 30-03-2019, 07:21 PM

Rey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: swim rings
Originally Posted by heaviest View Post
In another thread Rey made me aware of this guy. Here he's reinforced the seam of a tube with vinyl cement, and then by cementing a strip along the inner seam. I'm not sure the glue alone did anything, but in other videos he uses this technique to strengthen the seams of a whale and some ride-on toys, so he seems to be convinced it helps. Has anyone tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBUqu1d_YxQ

I'd like to be able to stretch tubes by loading them unevenly, but the inner seam always blows.

That Intex river tube is a tough bugger, but even it doesn't hold up to being unevenly loaded. It's been a long time since I've been on one of those. I remember them warming up nicely in the sun and stretching quite a bit.
I plan on trying to reinforce the bigmouth unicorn. The neck seam is very weak on those so I will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Also, as you are into swimrings, have you tried the ones from inflatableworld-wsp.de ? They are around 60 inches and very soft.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:16 AM

floatingeri is on a distinguished road
Swim rings are fun in the pool but trying to arouse oneself on them is not easy. In part because they're often of a material that isn't textured and thus isn't conducive to rubbing.
Old 27-04-2019, 01:35 PM

heaviest is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
have you tried the ones from inflatableworld-wsp.de ? They are around 60 inches and very soft.
That looks fun. I might be able to get both me and my partner on one. But I pop everything, and that'd be expensive.
Old 27-04-2019, 02:07 PM

I've gone through a lot of 30 inch intex rings lately. A 200 pound woman has done most of the damage. It seems to be the perfect weight for not knowing if the thing will just pop or will it last a while. When she first gets on a fully inflated 30 incher it sounds like a balloon. I encourage her to sit upright on it, to one side to load it unevenly, and to lift her legs, to get all her weight on it. Sometimes it just pops, but if it survives, she'll then rub her skin over it and make lovely noises, and while it's still tight it sounds like a balloon. She says it feels tiny and hard when she first gets on it, and it's when she's most afraid of popping it.

But it gets soft and she bottoms out, and then she flattens as much of it as she can, to keep it stressed. And she'll lift her butt off it, turn it, and drop back on it. She'll get pretty rough with it. Even 200 pounds looks really heavy on such a small ring. I love to see the side she's not sitting on bulge. With enough time, even once it's stretched and seems to be holding her, it will eventually pop. Or if we add even a little bit of air it will pop. Sometimes it survives adding air long enough to go through the hardness, balloon sounds, and fear of popping, to become soft again. But it rarely survives long once we've added air.

If she gets off it before it pops and I let it sit, it will still be soft the next day. They have a little bit of permanent stretch. You can add air to make them hard again, but they aren't very durable once they've been inflated more than their original capacity, even if they aren't very hard.

These things will usually hold me, for at least a short while, if I load them slowly and evenly. Loading them unevenly or overinflating them stresses them more than putting a lot of weight on them.

This woman's kink is to have me lay on top of her, and we've done this on swim rings. On a 30 incher we'll bottom out her hips easily, and the ring will pop once we also load her chest, but we've sometimes gotten a crazy amount of weight on the ring before that happens. 36 inchers aren't much sturdier, but 45 inchers will take a lot of weight.

I've done 30 and 36 inch swim rings with a 270 pound woman, too. She's a bit heavy for the 30 inchers. They're more fun when they last a while, which is why I don't generally do small swim rings with my partner, who is 440.

Last edited by heaviest; 27-04-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 17-05-2019, 02:34 PM

I did a session with the 200 pound woman on an Intex 36 incher. Got her to sit not at all delicately on one side of it, and when she had it bottomed out she added air. Told her to take it easy, but she added three full breaths and sat on it again. And when she had it bottomed out again she added five more breaths. Now she said it felt like it was going to pop and she was delicate with it, but she got all her weight on it again. Still didn't pop.

Then she laid across the center of it and I put my hands on her butt and pressed her belly to the floor. The thing bulged around her nicely. She freaked out over how hard it got under her neck, so she flipped over and I straddled her legs, bottoming out her hips. The ring bulged again, and popped.

We did only one ring, because after that unusually sturdy one another was likely to disappoint. We did a big, round lemon slice float next. Those are fun to sink deeply into, but I have to sit on her to bottom her out on that one.
Old 15-06-2019, 03:48 PM

I like to know how much weight is on the inflatable, which is why small swim rings don't do much for me. They don't hold me, so I put just some of my weight on them but I don't know how much. It's still fun, but I prefer to see someone smaller sit on these. They'll sometimes hold me for at least a while if I spread my weight over the whole thing, but I prefer squashing part of an inflatable and seeing another part bulge. Unevenly loaded like that, neither a 30 incher nor a 36 incher will hold anywhere near my weight.

My partner is also too heavy for small swim rings, but there are two other women I've gotten to do this. The smaller is about 200 pounds, and the larger is 285. I thought she was 270, and I don't remember if that was a guess or if she told me that, but she recently told me she was 285.

Anyway, the larger of the two is good for 36 inch rings. She's a little too heavy for them, but the ones that survive are awesome to see. But I recently had her sit on a 30 incher. That doesn't normally last long once she sits to one side to unevenly load it, but this time it held her. She lifted her feet and sat upright so all her weight was on it and it held. She got off it so we could admire how unevenly it had stretched, then we let it recover a bit, and she got back on it, a lot less carefully. She squirmed around to see how much she could flatten. I told her the objective was to try to flatten just a bit more than you can, so that you float and all your weight is on the tube and not on the floor. She's so much bigger than the tube that she has to roll onto her hip and stack her legs on top of one another to get her weight on the tube and off the floor.

"It's flat from my hip to my thigh...there, now I'm floating!"
"Get off your hand"
"Okay..it's flat again...no, there, I got it! Floating!"

It still held her. I had to take her word for it that she was floating, because it looked like more than a third of the ring was flattened.

She got up and we admired how stretched out it was. We let it recover and she got on it again. The side she was not on was huge. I was going to go get a tape measure to see how much bigger it gets compared to freshly inflated, but then it popped. Not as loud as an air mattress pillow exploding, but it was pretty loud.

My partner was emboldened to try a 36 incher, but it didn't hold her. She's about 440 pounds. We didn't have any 45 inchers, but we did have a two-person, double ring float, and all three of us got on that. My partner and I have both been on it several times, so I thought it would hold the three of us, but it didn't. It did a sudden deflation that I would call less than a pop. It was a let down, no pun intended.
Old 15-06-2019, 06:29 PM

The 285 pound woman just did another 30 incher. This time I put 20 pounds of sand-filled ankle weights in her lap, and then a 25 pound dumbell. Once again it looked like almost half the ring was flattened, but she swore she was floating, and squirmed around to prove it. I had another 25 pound dumbell, but before I put that in her lap I put a measuring tape around the bulging side she wasn't sitting on, but before I could measure it we heard a hiss, and then a thpat! noise. I don't know if I've ever heard a pop sound like that.

She said it stops feeling hard very soon after she sits on it, and it feels like it's stretching so much it feels like a balloon against her skin. It sounds like a balloon when she slides her skin on it.

ETA Ring number three. I got the second dumbell in her lap, for a total of 355 pounds. It didn't pop. It stretched so much she bottomed out and couldn't spread her weight over enough of the ring to keep from bottoming out. I measured it and it stretched from 22 inches to 28 around the part of the tube opposite where she was sitting. To get it bigger we're going to have to add more air once the thing has recovered.

ETA We let it recover and then added air so that we were starting from 22 inches on the side she had been sitting on and 23 1/2 inches on the side that was stretched. It held her and the weights for a few minutes, and she was starting to have trouble keeping from bottoming out again when it popped. It grew to 28 3/4 inches.

It wasn't a very loud pop, but it split very nearly half the circumference of the inner seam. The other two we popped today were somewhat less than that.

ETA Ring number three. 285 pound woman and 200 pound woman both got on a 30 incher, and I put the 20 pounds of ankle wights in the lap of the heavier of them, for a total of 505 pounds. And it didn't pop. They were on it for quite a while. That's how much an uneven load stresses a swim ring. It takes about 300 pounds to pop a ring with the load all on one side, but add 200 pounds to the other side and it doesn't pop. This doesn't surprise me. I weigh 100 pounds more than both of them and so long as I spread my weight over the whole thing it will usually hold me for at least a couple minutes.

This ring didn't fully recover, so I've added air. It's now got two low but wide bulges in it, one larger than the other. It's now 22 1/2 inches around one side and 23 inches around the other. If the women had more patience I'd have them still sitting on it.

Once the vinyl has been stretched a lot, it may mostly recover, but even after you reinflate the ring to make it tight again, it will stretch back out more quickly than it did when it was new. Even the smaller of these women say this ring bottoms out almost immediately. And my partner, 440 pounds, has now been on it, so it's had quite the abuse today.

ETA and...200 pound woman popped it all by herself.

Last edited by heaviest; 15-06-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 15-06-2019, 11:50 PM

How do you get two people on a swim ring? I highly recommend trying this, as it's a lot of fun.

If you both fit on the thing, side-by-side, or can fit on your half if you roll onto your hips, you can sit to either side, facing each other, with your feet facing in opposite directions. If you have a hard time sitting upright with your legs together, you can hang onto each other. You want to sit upright to get your weight off your hands and onto the ring. It can be quite a challenge to balance this way, and that's part of the fun.

If you don't fit that way, the heavier of you can sit with the hole between your legs and the other person can sit on your legs, their legs to your sides. If the heavier of you is heavy enough to pop the ring, you can lean back with a lot of your weight on your hands until your partner is on your legs. Once you are both on, you can hold onto each other to help you sit upright. You want to get your weight off your hands and onto the ring. And believe it or not, the ring is less likely to pop if your weight is counterbalanced by your partner's weight, at least somewhat, rather than all being on one side of the ring.

My partner and I can do either position on a 45 incher. Sometimes they even hold us both. We've tried the straddling position on 36 inch rings, but none have ever held us both.

In the pool it's a lot harder. I've seen two small people get on a 45 incher and float pretty easily, and I've seen a fairly heavy person pull another onto their lap and have a lot of trouble staying on. I've done it knowing I'm going to sink it and not be able to stay on it. I've actually not popped a swim ring in the pool since I was a kid, but my partner has.

Last edited by heaviest; 16-06-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 16-06-2019, 01:21 AM

Ring number four. Intex 36 incher with clear, patterned top and pink bottom. 285 pound woman with 70 pounds of weights in her lap bottomed out her half in no time. Added a little air and got back on it. She stretched this tube from 26 1/2 inches around to 36 inches, totally flattening her side again. The other side was huge, looked totally like it should blow, but could get no bigger because she was bottomed out again. Added air, got back on it, and before she had the last dumbell on her it popped. It actually hissed for several seconds, first. Only grew to 34 1/2 inches this time. Total time to popping was only about 5 minutes.

These things are a lot more stretchy, which is fun, but they'd be sturdier if they were built like the all-translucent 30 inchers.

Ring five. 42 inch wave zone fruit ring. This one my partner and 285 pound woman both got on. 715 pounds. It held them both. That one is recovering. I may get on that one with someone. All four of us have been on the 60? inch watermelon island float, but that one holds us all. We need another heavy person to put the hurt on that one.
Old 20-06-2019, 02:14 AM

Big Thud Joe is on a distinguished road
Was casually looking at Big W last week, they must still have some left over summer stock, and got somewhat excited when one of the items was a huge inflatable wedding ring. Thought if it was that thin semi translucent PVC, I'd be right into it, but again when pulling one out of the pack, same ol same ol thick canvas rubbish.