Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john1bl
    • Jan 2014

Silence! I keel you!! and other inflator issues

I got a Qualitex inflater and the thing has a few problems. 1. loud 2. turn 270 degs on start 3. hair triggered 4. Can't use on a soft surface like a bed or couch. So I took the blower out and in the process of creating a new case. The question I have is what would be good material to sound insulate for sound and is a sizer/timer of any use?
  • Balloon_Aficionado
    • Nov 2019

Re: Silence! I keel you!! and other inflator issues

I'm not completely familiar with the specific pump, but I can give you a couple of tips based on my basic knowledge of sound deadening.

The 2 basic tools of sound insulation are absorption and reflection. A good design for a sound deadening box to enclose a source of noise would be a box made of sound reflecting material lined on the inside with a sound absorbing material.

On a direct drive air pump, there are 3 sources of noise: the inlet, outlet, and motor.

The noisiest will likely be the outlet, followed by the inlet. The basic methodology for reducing noise from pumping air is pretty much identical to reducing noise on an internal combustion engine, meaning you need a muffler. This can be similar to a normal muffler (baffles spaced to cause the sound waves to bounce off and cancel out), or a glass-pack (a perforated tube passing through larger tube packed with sound absorbing material like fiberglass). The downside of this is that it will reduce the flow of the pump.

Likely the least noisy thing is the motor. You can create a sound deadening box for it, but be careful. Usually an air pump's motor is air cooled by a separate fan, so if that doesn't get enough airflow the pump could burn out.

Comment

• john1bl
      • Jan 2014

I have a 3d printer and was thinking about the design of the box. I was thinking that the box would be lined with something, I just don't know what. I can make baffles in the design but I would need to know the spacing.

Comment

• craggy2012
        • Jan 2012

I just bought a Hoover brand silent vacuum cleaner and chopper the motor n silencer box out of the rest of the cleaner. Not exactly a cheap way to get or make nearly silent pump at £90 GBP- but it works and will fully inflate a GL1200 in just under three minutes. Basically the motor sits inside it's own plastic and foam box. Air gets drawn in one end and instead of entering the dust bag- air exits into a short length of 3 inch tube that's capped off with a flex hose n nozzle attached to the end of it which you further attach to your balloon or inflatable of choice. Not quite what it was purposed for but it's fairly quiet. You can certainly use it at night without telling your neighbours what your upto!

Comment

• john1bl
          • Jan 2014

I will have to see if there is a US version. Do you think a timer would be helpful?

Comment

• SirSquishy
            • Mar 2020

I've heard that pond air pumps, or pond aerators are incredibly quiet. Have never used one myself though. Anyone have any experience with these? I don't have a pond haha

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎