Would a new UK based inflatable company work?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inflover89101
    • Mar 2019

Would a new UK based inflatable company work?

Hi,

Following on from my other thread, this is an idea I've had for a long time now, about setting up my own custom inflatable company, based in the UK.

I just wondered what your thoughts are on it, and it's viability?

I'm selling my business soon, and moving to a farm with alot of land and outbuildings etc, so I will have the funds and space to do it, and I'll be working from home so I would be able to do it all myself, I've been self employed since I was 18 and I am savvy, I'm not blowing my own trumpet or anything but I know how businesses work and how to make money etc etc, so it's not like I'd be jumping in at the deep end. The other good thing is because I'd be running it from home, and not have a physical shop, I can run it from anywhere in the country and it would be online sales only. Plus the overheads will be minimal as I won't have staff or rent to pay as the building will be bought outright, meaning I can keep costs down and keep the sale prices lower too.

I've always thought there's a gap in the market, for certain oversized items or toys that I think would sell but no one makes, like for example a 2.5m long space shuttle or aeroplane, or blimp, punchbag etc. I'd like to do other toys to horseplay or inflatable world if it would be viable, but I am happy to do my own weird animal or dragon creations aswell that's not a problem, I just wanted to concentrate on what's not currently available but that I think would sell. An example is the blimp, Budweiser did a 1.8m blimp, they sell second hand for anything upto £80 I've seen, I would expect to be able to produce similar to that and be able to sell for £30-40.

I also think a good range of beach balls would work, especially the classic 6 panels that don't seem to be available really anymore. And inflatable chairs & sofas.

Obviously all items would be quality made, and the bigger more expensive toys would have overlapped seams etc, I do know that this will make the toys more expensive, but puffy paws stuff sells for £1000 I've seen, so there's obviously a market for quality made toys.

I guess I would be similar to inflatable world, but I wouldn't be copying anyone ideas, I would try to stick to toys that aren't currently available, and would gladly let people pitch me ideas too. I would also do different designs of smaller toys, whales/orcas, that sort of thing, it won't be just huge toys. If anything, I'd like to be able to offer a choice of colours, sizes and materials, as in glossy or matte, soft stretchy vinyl etc. It will just all boil down to the costs of small quantities etc.

Other thing I thought about doing would be to sell vintage used inflatables too sometimes, I know I've got hundreds to sell myself haha.

I would also stock things like pumps, clay softeners, Steam machine for heat stretching etc, aswell as a range of balloons. So in a way it would be a one stop shop.

I would be building a huge barn to store it all on my land, but if this didn't work out I would need the building anyway, so I'm not fussed about the expense of the building as it's required regardless.

All toys would be made i guess in China, and then shipped to me (much like I.W).

The main thing that does worry me, is designing and commissioning a toy to then get sued by a large company that make a similar toy unbeknown to me. The other thing I'm worried about is customers constantly returning punctured toys through misuse, I won't have a machine to repair it here, I would be simply storing the toys if you like, so I'm worried I'll end up having loads of returned refunded or replaced punctured toys that I'm then stuck with and out of pocket. This won't be my main source of income, but as with any business it has to run at a profit otherwise there's no point in me doing it, but I don't intend to be greedy as I'll be earning from other sources, it's more I have the money to do it and would like to if I know it will work.

Like I say, it's just an idea I've had for a long time now and if my finances permit, something I'd like to do in the future.

Let me know your thoughts!
    Last edited by Inflover89101; 22-02-2020, 09:33.
  • Londonj2014
    • Dec 2017

Re: Would a new UK based inflatable company work?

This sounds like a fantastic idea, if you can afford it and have the time and space (and energy) to do this.

BUT........

What i think would put me off starting such a venture would be that it could in some way spoil your fetish

It sounds like a dream*to have such a business but what would the reality be like? It could become too much and you may see inflatables/balloons differently.

either that or it would become incredibly successful, you would employ people to worry about boring dull work stuff while you are at home counting money in your custom made inflatable/balloon room.

hmmmm, the latter of those two sounds a lot better, doesn't it? lol

I do have a kind of suggestion, pvt me if you would like to hear it

Comment

• Inflover89101
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Londonj2014
      This sounds like a fantastic idea, if you can afford it and have the time and space (and energy) to do this.

BUT........

What i think would put me off starting such a venture would be that it could in some way spoil your fetish

It sounds like a dream*to have such a business but what would the reality be like? It could become too much and you may see inflatables/balloons differently.

either that or it would become incredibly successful, you would employ people to worry about boring dull work stuff while you are at home counting money in your custom made inflatable/balloon room.

hmmmm, the latter of those two sounds a lot better, doesn't it? lol

I do have a kind of suggestion, pvt me if you would like to hear it
      Hmm, I'm not too sure if it would spoil my fetish, not in my head atleast anyway, if anything I thought it would benefit as I'd be able to produce inflatables I've always wished I could own.

I wouldn't be employing anyone, else that's atleast £20k a year for someone full time, and would rise the costs etc. I can't see why I couldn't manage on my own, even if there's a 100 parcels a day to wrap and dispatch (which I highly doubt there would be!) I'm used to selling on eBay and dispatching upto 30 parcels a day while working full time on my other current business anyway. I think I could make it work, just wondered what other people's thoughts are, whether they would be willing to buy from a new company or whether they are too loyal to IW or PP etc.

Comment

• Londonj2014
        • Dec 2017

Sorry fella, my thoughts were running away with me and i imagined the factory set up on the farm with millions of orders. You are right, it would be amazing to have whatever inflatable you could dream off. A friend of mine had a custom made inflatable designed exactly how he wanted it but it cost him a lot of money.

I would certain try out a new company, especially it they would be a lot cheaper

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
          • May 2017

I would certainly think of it as a great idea, It would be great to purchase from a looner who knows what material and shapes the rest of us want, where others are either quite expensive, or make such inflatables for general kids play, and may range from nice stretchy PVC to nasty thick canvas junk.

For example, I've just bought a whole heap of 1.2 meter inflatable gay pride rings. The entire ring is transparent, with the gay rainbow opaque colours printed on the inside, so the outer side of the material still has the texture of the transparent PVC. The one thing that had really annoyed me about these was that the inflation valve and warning notice was on the actual full transparent side, the very side I would have like to use for clawing and effing.

I've got a folder of severl ideas which I would love to see actually made, and would have no problem sharing without copyright or commission, I would love to just see these things made, blow them up super firm, and **** the hell out of them.

Comment

• inflate 599
            • Apr 2019

This would be a great idea always wanted to buy a suit never really had the chance to due to either price or just location of the products being sold and never found anywhere decent in the uk if you do do this drop us a message with a link to wherever you’ll sell them and I’ll defiantly buy especially if you will be uk based

Comment

Working...