Old 24-10-2019, 08:02 PM

looner_ninja is on a distinguished road
Default Does blowing up balloons help with axienty
As above does any find it helps control anxiety? If so it would be great to here how it has worked out for anyone else.

I can have panic attacks (I was violently assaulted a few years back, which was the trigger, before that I was normal dude) that can be intense, it feels fucking terrible. One of the techniques to manage this is breathing obviously blowing up a balloon means you need to inhale & exhale deeply & takes you into the present/the moment. So I thought that just blowing a balloon up might help, get my breathing back to normal.

Any thoughts

Last edited by looner_ninja; 24-10-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 24-10-2019, 11:34 PM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does blowing up balloons help with axienty
Hmm, as a semi-popper blowing up a balloon can make me anxious (I usually don't want them to pop) but at the same time it takes my mind off of other (potentially more anxiety-inducing) topics.
Old 24-10-2019, 11:49 PM

Pink Balloon is on a distinguished road
As much as any other breathing exersize I suppose, I've used it when angry.
Old 25-10-2019, 11:55 AM

LoonerPlanet is on a distinguished road
I find blowing up balloons to be relaxing and fun. I inflate 1 to 3 balloons to a nice plump size, then clip them. I come back later and give them a few more breathes, until tight. Repeat as often as you dare; inflated balloons tend to soften and/or loose air with time. After many years of playing with balloons, I have a good idea of how far I can go.

Eventually, I'll deflate these balloons and put them aside for a massive balloon session later. They will get nice and big with a second or third inflate.
Old 25-10-2019, 12:44 PM

bubblesNdragons is on a distinguished road
This goes either way with me. As you said, breathing in and out deeply is a classic way to calm down, and since I like balloons it sometimes works especially well. Although, since I'm a phobic non-popper, sometimes I get too scared to continue blowing and let go of the balloon. It isn't so bad though because I actually like deflation ��.
Speaking of deflation, part the reason why I like it is because I see it as a metaphor for releasing all the tension in you.
Old 25-10-2019, 01:12 PM

srob2 is on a distinguished road
After a b2p, it is difficult to be anxious about anything else.
Old 25-10-2019, 03:43 PM

SusieDK is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

It might well be of help as it probably occupies your thoughts. Just be careful not to blow too fast, because this can cause hyperventilation which will probably increase anxiety instead of helping you to calm down.

Best of luck!

Susie
Old 25-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Eastlooner is on a distinguished road
Yes, Susie you are right. Hyperventilation increases the level of anxiety so it's not good to blow them with your breath too fast. But in the case of my wife balloon blowing with pump works very well. She used to have anxiety disorders in the past. Nowadays they have dissappeared. Sometimes, when she has problems, we get a 16-18" balloon, blow it, write all the problems on it and then pop it with any method, btp with pump is the most often used...So, it helps
Old 25-10-2019, 07:38 PM

MetroBalloon is an unknown quantity at this point
Blowing up balloons is relaxing (knowing they don't have any defects and will get big and tight). Kind of nervous watching other people blow up balloons, though at the same time I still really like it.

Blowing up balloons is like blowing all your stress into the balloon and sealing it away, then it turns into a big, bright and colourful object that's happy and joyful to look at and play with.
Old 25-10-2019, 08:35 PM

looner_ninja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Eastlooner View Post
Yes, Susie you are right. Hyperventilation increases the level of anxiety so it's not good to blow them with your breath too fast. But in the case of my wife balloon blowing with pump works very well. She used to have anxiety disorders in the past. Nowadays they have dissappeared. Sometimes, when she has problems, we get a 16-18" balloon, blow it, write all the problems on it and then pop it with any method, btp with pump is the most often used...So, it helps
Does that work writing it down on the balloon & popping it? Sounds like a cool idea. I can hopefully push everything into remission, but there is no cure for me it is about living your best life.

Originally Posted by bubblesNdragons View Post
This goes either way with me. As you said, breathing in and out deeply is a classic way to calm down, and since I like balloons it sometimes works especially well. Although, since I'm a phobic non-popper, sometimes I get too scared to continue blowing and let go of the balloon. It isn't so bad though because I actually like deflation ��.
Speaking of deflation, part the reason why I like it is because I see it as a metaphor for releasing all the tension in you.
Oh wow, good to hear that works I'll give it try. So did you just keeping blowing & deflating the balloon until you felt a bit better? Absolutely I wouldn't want to pop the balloon either (not in this context) because when your wound up sudden noises aren't helpful. I metaphor that is a nice way of putting it.

Originally Posted by SusieDK View Post
Hi there,

It might well be of help as it probably occupies your thoughts. Just be careful not to blow too fast, because this can cause hyperventilation which will probably increase anxiety instead of helping you to calm down.

Best of luck!

Susie
Thanks, yes it is all about bring yourself back into the moment (the present) to take the mind of past events. Most people don't know how to breath your right, to turn of the flight or flight response hyperventilation isn't helpful.

Originally Posted by MetroBalloon View Post
Blowing up balloons is relaxing (knowing they don't have any defects and will get big and tight). Kind of nervous watching other people blow up balloons, though at the same time I still really like it.

Blowing up balloons is like blowing all your stress into the balloon and sealing it away, then it turns into a big, bright and colourful object that's happy and joyful to look at and play with.
Nice turn the negative energy into something positive that is awesome!