Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM

PBK is on a distinguished road
Default Balloon Storage
So, here's a question for the balloon hoarders/collectors like me:
When you store your balloons, do you store them in an air-tight environment or is it better to let them "breathe"?

I've been storing my balloons for years in big plastic tubs with lids, and I'm not sure how airtight they are.

The reason I ask this is I recently acquired a bunch of small plastic bins with screw top lids and thought that would be a great place to keep assortments for helium bunches and whatnot but when the lids are screwed closed the bins are quite airtight. Not sure if this is to the advantage, detriment to the balloons or if it even affects them at all. If balloons shouldn't be stored in an airtight environment then I could always drill holes in the lids to promote air exchange.
I always kind of thought that while oxygen in the air and especially ozone degrades natural latex, some "breathing" was needed for long term storage to keep the balloons fresh when stored in other ideal conditions (cool, dark, out of sunlight). Thus, the plastic bags that quality brand balloons are shipped in have "breather" holes in them and are not completely air tight.

Thoughts or opinions?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Founder, Balloon Buddies

BusterBill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Balloon Storage
Originally Posted by PBK View Post
Thus, the plastic bags that quality brand balloons are shipped in have "breather" holes in them and are not completely air tight.

Thoughts or opinions?
As a rule, prolonged exposure to heat and oxygen are the worst enemies of latex polymer compounds. Exposure to oxygen in the air hastens the oxidation process and eventually degrades balloons until they are useless. The holes in the poly bags that many balloon manufacturers use in their packaging are not there to help preserve the balloons -- the purpose of those holes is to allow compression of the poly bags when they are packed into a shipping carton, thus maximizing the number of bags that can be fit into the carton.

Last edited by BusterBill; 13-11-2019 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Eastlooner is on a distinguished road
I agree with BusterBill. I have stored lots of balloons for many years- still have some from 2000 and they are alive (13" italian with New Millenium print). The best results I have obtained were with sealed plastic bags without special compressing the balloons, so no breathing was available. The worst with vacuum packed balloons even when they were powdered with talc...I had to throw away many of them as sticking ones. It also depends ona a brand but even Tuftexes stored for 2 years in the absence of fresh air are ok. Hope it helps
Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Good information, guys. Thanks!

I tried the method of storing balloons in Ziploc bags with the air completely squeezed out many years ago and the balloons were completely destroyed within a year. They definitely do better when there's some air space but I can see regular air exchange being a bad thing as you guys mentioned.

Oldest balloons I have are punchballs I bought from a mom-and-pop dollar store in 2006 in their original factory packaging. They were manufactured in Thailand. They seem to still inflate big and tight.
As much as I love Tuf-tex they do degrade fast even under the most ideal storage conditions and I've had to throw many out over the years. I've learned not to buy so many at once. Especially since as a non-popper I don't go through them like the poppers do.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 PM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
I've stored my balloons in ziploc bags in a shoebox in the closet. I usually press the air out of the bags to save space, but I've been storing balloons this way since 2013 and have never had any issue with degradation.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:55 AM

Individual experiences vary, I guess.
Old 13-11-2019, 11:32 AM

LuciferLooner is on a distinguished road
i just keep them in ziplock bags in a big fabric bag under my bed.
Old 17-11-2019, 12:06 PM

lincy is an unknown quantity at this point
I keep balloons in Ziplock bags
Old 17-11-2019, 04:59 PM

AJK64 is on a distinguished road
I keep mine in sealable plastic tubs (tupperware). I put silica gel packets in with them to keep moisture low.
Old 18-11-2019, 12:17 AM

Casey88 is on a distinguished road
I keep them in ziplog bags as well, stored in a tight dark container in my cupboard.

However when all the other standard pastel/crystal balloons are perfectly in good condition, mostly the metallic ones degrades faster. It sticks to itself and if blown up, it pops prematurely or has defects all over. Any idea why?