Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heaviest
    • Jun 2018

watching people on inflatables

I love pool parties and I love public pools, for obvious reasons. And I love watching other people using inflatables.

People who are self conscious about their weight don't like to get on inflatables. Larger adults assume they are too heavy. Once they see me on them they lose their fear of popping them But heavy people tend to be self conscious and don't want to be seen as too heavy for the float. Fortunately for me, I know a lot of very heavy people who are not self conscious. I'd say a large number of very heavy people find some joy in it. But most heavy people outside my social circle aren't inclined to get on a pool float.

Every now and then I'll see several normal-sized adults get on an inflatable made for just two. Sometimes they even do a pile-on. I've seen five adults or more sink an air mattress, and I've seen seven or eight on an island made for perhaps three. I love pile-ons.

It's not uncommon to see someone up to about four hundred pounds on an air mattress or other one-person float. It's more common to see someone that size on a float made for two. Sometimes two adults try to get on a one-person float, but unfortunately poor balance usually ends those attempts and normal people lack the determination I'd like to see

I've seen adults try to balance on a beach ball. I think they are surprised it goes under water. Outside the pool a woman made motions like she would sit on a beach ball but only jokingly. I told her it would hold her no problem, and she sat on it, but was horrified at how much it flattened and got right off of it.

I've seen adults on swim rings as small as 30 inches. Those rings don't hold adults very well, but people small enough to pull one over their hips can float in them, because in that position most of their weight is in the water and not on ring. A very old memory of two adults playing with a 30 inch swim ring goes something like this...

A thin guy puts the ring over his hips and gets in the water. It doesn't get tight around him until it is up to his ribs. It sinks quite a bit, but it is partially not sunk. It's overloaded but holding him. When he gets out of it his wife wants to try. She's perhaps thirty pounds heavier, and she wisely decides not to try to put it over her hips. She instead just sits on it. It goes completely under water, and she is so horrified she gets off it. She can't understand how it sinks so much more for her, so she tries again, slowly. It still sinks, of course. It's not just that she's heavier, it's because sitting on top of it she has a lot more weight on it. She doesn't seem to understand swim ring physics

A pretty good rule for swim rings is that if you fit in the hole you'll sink it a lot less than if you don't fit in the hole, and it's not just that you're heavier if you don't fit in it. If you sit on top of rather than in the ring, more of your weight is on it.

A 36 inch ring will hold a small adult no problem. They look overloaded at perhaps 200 pounds. I can sink one completely. I've seen people much smaller than me sink one completely. A 45 inch ring will float 400 pounds no problem, and the only people I've seen not fit in the hole of one of those are people in my social circle. I've seen a woman who weighs almost 600 just about sink a 45 incher. I can do that, too, but I also enjoy watching her do it.

Heavy people will fold a swim ring in half laying belly down on it. I think it's the weight of the hips all on one side that does that.

Another awesome memory is of a chubby woman sitting on a 36 inch ring outside the pool. She almost fits in the hole, but decides it's more comfortable sitting on the side of it. I like that she's discovered this, because it stresses the ring more She doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned she'll pop it. She's maybe 180 pounds, and I'm surprised how heavy that looks on a 36 incher. She shifts her weight often, getting comfortable or unsticking her skin from the vinyl, and it makes lovely noises. The side she's not sitting on looks like it will burst. Unevenly loaded like that the thing would probably develop a leak eventually. Or pop.

After perhaps ten minutes it's stretched and it looks like she's discovered that when she sits upright her butt sinks right to the ground through the tube. She lifts her legs, putting all of her weight on it, and bounces very slightly. Yep, definitely. Bottoming out.

Her friend comes and plops herself on the ring, too! Her friend is a little heavier than she is, maybe 200 pounds. They scream and they both lose their balance, but they eventually both sit upright on it. Still, no apparent concern that they'll pop it. They both sit on it for perhaps another ten minutes, and every time they shift their weight they are amused by their difficulty balancing, and they must realize the thing wasn't made to hold that much weight, but nope. No apparent concern they'll pop it. They don't seem to be paying it any attention except when they are having balance trouble. I love every minute, but they are only on it for about ten minutes. When they get up it's stretched quite a bit, and they don't even seem to notice.

I've seen single-chamber air mattresses with their pillows bulging really large with people not very heavy on them. I don't even know why that happens. Maybe the sun softens the vinyl. I've seen people sit on these air mattresses on the side of the pool, dangling their feet in the water. I've seen as many as three people on one of those. Even normal sized people will put the hurt on a slim air mattress when you get three of them on there. I've only seen them pop when people my size get on them, though. In the pool those things hold less than 150 pounds with dignity, 200 or so pounds for people not so self conscious. Normal people don't try to load them more than that, but in my social circle I've seen perhaps 350 pounds seriously try to float on one. They don't hold that much. The 18-pocket lounges hold 350 pretty well, overloaded but floating. And I've seen them pretty much sunk under a lot more than that.

Outside my social circle I've seen two people totaling about 700 pounds on a float made for two people and about half that much weight. In my social circle I've seen even more than that on a two-person float, but the willingness to do that may be instigated by me
    Last edited by heaviest; 24-02-2019, 03:55.
  • heaviest
    • Jun 2018

Re: watching people on inflatables

A few more memories, including only incidences that involved people uninitiated in inflatable play...

I think I've mentioned the inflatable sofas at the summer parties. There was a regular attendee who was bigger than I am now who sat on them not at all gingerly. There was also a time when me and my girlfriend of the time were both on one of them, and another friend leaned on me to give me a hug and the sofa rocked backwards and she ended up falling on top of me, so we had all three of us on the sofa for a brief time. Maybe 1400 pounds. It didn't pop.

I've seen a 300-ish pound man pop a 36 inch tube in the pool. He was balancing on it with his legs outstretched, as if he knew how to maximally load it, and had it just about submerged when it started bubbling air and deflated. I've seen a woman of about 150 pounds stack two 30 inchers and try to sit on them, and pop the bottom one.

Very recently my partner convinced an uninitiated normal size woman to get onto a two person float that already had me and her on it. It was enough weight on her end to balance me, and the float went under water before dumping us all.

I've seen a 270 pound woman bounce on a 36 inch swim ring on the concrete without popping it, and I've seen a 200 pound woman pop one outright just by sitting on it. I've seen some fairly heavy people squeeze themselves into the center of those things, and I've seen people have difficulty getting out of them.

I've seen a nearly 600 pound woman on a 45 inch swim ring, but she's not uninitiated, so the heaviest uninitiated person I've seen on a swim ring is a guy who probably weighs about 525. I've also seen him and my partner together on a two-person float.

I've seen multiple normal sized people pile on inflatables a number of times. Big animal floats, like swans, geese and unicorns, have become popular in recent years. There's an island shaped like fruit slices that I like a lot. When you sit in the center of it the rest of it billows up around you like it's totally overloaded. Just a fluke of the way the seams are. I've seen fairly heavy people do that and think they're going to pop it. And I've seen three people on those things, too. And I've been on it on the floor with my partner and a woman who didn't know we liked inflatables. She was pretty freaked out by hard hard the thing gets with that much weight on it. About 1300 pounds.
    Last edited by heaviest; 24-02-2019, 20:45.

Comment

• craggy2012
      • Jan 2012

Watching folks on inflates is a tad creepy, but I love simply laying back on a sun bed listening to a cacophony of loud squeaks n other noises going off around me

Comment

• MetroBalloon
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by craggy2012
        Watching folks on inflates is a tad creepy, but I love simply laying back on a sun bed listening to a cacophony of loud squeaks n other noises going off around me
        I don't see why that's creepy. It's fun to see adults using and playing with balloons/inflatables. Love watching.

Comment

• Blowitbig
          • Jan 2016

I agree , i like watching adults play with balloons, either live or internet vids
          The bigger the better

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍