Have you ever witnessed a random blow to pop?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heliumsitr68
    • Nov 2021

Re: Have you ever witnessed a random blow to pop?

When I was around 10 , I saw a girl I had a major crush on standing by a tree at a local fair blowing a red balloon until it popped .
    Popper ! I love helium balloons

Comment

• Tracy
      • May 2018

Ugh, yes. It was a fucking nightmare from my youth.

For a couple weeks, the kids on my school bus thought it was hilarious to do blow-to-pops on the ride home in the afternoon. They were little cheap party balloons from the grocery store, so we are not talking about horribly loud pops... And they were mostly at the back of the bus so I suddenly moved up to the very front. But they absolutely fucking terrified me. And of course I could not show ANY emotion or this was going to be how I would be teased/tortured for the rest of my childhood.

After two days of this, getting home and crying for about 45 minutes, I begged my parents to give me a 6 week advance on my allowance so I could go and buy a knockoff Walkman (look it up, youngsters!). Dad was being a jerk about it, but my mom could see that something was amiss... Of course I didn't tell them the real reason, but anyway she gave me the $$$ when dad wasn't looking. With that cheap-ass unit blaring hard rock into my skull, the pops became scary but livable.

Eventually one of the dumbfucks on the bus did a BTP right behind the driver (mercifully I was absent that day). With a nearly-wrecked school bus as the consequence, a categorical ban on balloons was put in place the next day.

Comment

• heliumsitr68
        • Nov 2021

Sounds like those kids needed to have their asses beaten !
        Popper ! I love helium balloons

Comment

• BusterBill
          Founder, Balloon Buddies
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by RLMI
          I remember when I was at school, some of us would inevitably blow up our balloons too big to the point where they burst in our mouths.

Your mention of B2P in school brought to mind a vivid memory that had been lost in my brain archive. One day our 6th grade teacher asked all the girls in the room to file out into the hallway where they were to wait until the teacher had finished "punishing" us boys.

She briefly explained that our crime was that some of us, on the previous day, had dropped a water balloons from the classroom windows onto students and faculty in the playground below. The teacher's idea of punishment was to walk slowly up and down the rows of desks, carefully placing an uninflated 12" party balloon on each of our desks. She then instructed us to take our balloons and to blow them without stopping until they burst. I never really understood why she considered this a punishment. She didn't know which of us had been the water balloon bombers so I surmise that this was her way of punishing all of us. It truly didn't make sense to me and still doesn't, but it was definitely one of my most exciting days of primary school.

The teacher decided that some of us fellows, such as myself, were too slow to reach the popping point so she took a common pin, walked up and down the aisles, and pricked any unpopped balloons as we blew them -- she insisted that we continue inflating them as she popped them with the pin -- and BOOM right in our faces!

I had forgotten all about that event until this evening when reading your comment.

Comment

• npratt
            • Jul 2016

Just yesterday at Party City stocking up my stash (they have IMHO the best "retail" balloons) and while I was standing in line another clerk had a helium malfunction: psssssssssshhhhh >BANG< (giggles).

I think PC may be on to us - at the store I was at the helium tank where they inflate is now behind a high wall so you can't watch. Too many creepy stares?

Comment

• Common Loon
              • Aug 2020

Originally posted by npratt
              Just yesterday at Party City stocking up my stash (they have IMHO the best "retail" balloons) and while I was standing in line another clerk had a helium malfunction: psssssssssshhhhh >BANG< (giggles).
              I often wonder what the average is at a typical busy party shop like Party City... how many "helium malfunctions" (LOL) do they have in a typical day? What about on one of their busy days? What must the place be like on New Year's Eve day? Or Valentine's?

Comment

Originally posted by Common Loon
                I often wonder what the average is at a typical busy party shop like Party City... how many "helium malfunctions" (LOL) do they have in a typical day? What about on one of their busy days? What must the place be like on New Year's Eve day? Or Valentine's?
                I would guess that it is quite common. While not a malfunction or an accident I remember this one time when I was in a party shop just browsing stuff around 6PM I'm just minding my own business and then I just hear BANG BANG BANG BANG, apparently the girl at the register had gotten bored and was popping some of the display balloons that they weren't gonna use anymore. While it was terrifying it was also really cool. And weirdly enough I think that was one of the reasons I would really like to work in a party shop even though I am very pop phobic.

Comment

• Common Loon
                  • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Yanzuh
                  I would really like to work in a party shop even though I am very pop phobic.
                  If you can make it through a week of working in a busy party shop? I'm sure your phobia would never be the same after that!

I imagine most party shop pops that happen during business hours would result from defective balloons. Which if the shop uses a decorator quality brand is pretty infrequent, maybe 1-2%. So one or two pops per every 100 balloons the shop inflates, on average.

But like you say, employees do sometimes use the slow times in the stores to practice their techniques. And more often than not, they're not making something saleable when they practice so they can't keep it around the shop afterward. Seems like a shame though, I know plenty of folks who would love to take home those practice bouquets and sculptures!

Comment

• condensatelover
                    • Jan 2022

I hate balloons popping, but I witnessed a foil balloon pop. It was an orbz balloon. Guy was inflating it with helium in the shopping centre. He started to blow the balloon and lost control of it. The tap just snapped and opened. Balloon started to overinflate. Thirty secs later it was so big, I could see thru it. I started to count. Didn't close the ears, stupid bonkie-jonkie, but continued to count.
                    Seven
                    Six
                    Five
                    Four
                    BANG
                    That was ground-shaking. I literally felt the explosive wave. Needless to say, it was the most powerful bang and the most angry and loud Suka, Blyat! (sorry Vicci)

Comment

• aron_crow
                      • May 2020

Originally posted by BusterBill

Your mention of B2P in school brought to mind a vivid memory that had been lost in my brain archive. One day our 6th grade teacher asked all the girls in the room to file out into the hallway where they were to wait until the teacher had finished "punishing" us boys.

She briefly explained that our crime was that some of us, on the previous day, had dropped a water balloons from the classroom windows onto students and faculty in the playground below. The teacher's idea of punishment was to walk slowly up and down the rows of desks, carefully placing an uninflated 12" party balloon on each of our desks. She then instructed us to take our balloons and to blow them without stopping until they burst. I never really understood why she considered this a punishment. She didn't know which of us had been the water balloon bombers so I surmise that this was her way of punishing all of us. It truly didn't make sense to me and still doesn't, but it was definitely one of my most exciting days of primary school.

The teacher decided that some of us fellows, such as myself, were too slow to reach the popping point so she took a common pin, walked up and down the aisles, and pricked any unpopped balloons as we blew them -- she insisted that we continue inflating them as she popped them with the pin -- and BOOM right in our faces!

I had forgotten all about that event until this evening when reading your comment.

That teacher was as close to a popper looner as one can get without actually being a looner

Comment

• aron_crow
                        • May 2020

Originally posted by Common Loon
                        Its most likely filled with balloons for display or for supplying to local businesses. I have a huge party shop near my house and they seem to have done the entire street up for new year's eve. Unsurprisingly all balloons were either missing or popped the next morning. I feel that the people working in the shops are very accustomed to popping as a means of cleaning up the clusters that they make.

Comment

• Alladin
                          • Jan 2022

Unforunately I never witnessed such a thrilling experience. Just remember a nice looking lady. about 40 y.o. working as merchandise promoter , whose stand was decorated with overinflated 12" balloons (no pump at sight) and ... even some good shreds :P

Comment

• FinallyPopper
                            • Jan 2022

I have a story that stressed me out back then, but that many of you probably wish to have experienced themselfes:

It was sexual education class in school, specifically the day where everyone had to put a condom on a banana. The teacher was saying something along the line of "you must be carefull not to damage the condom with your fingernails, however once in place condoms are pretty much indestructible". One girl I was attracted to kindly asked the teacher if she may demonstrate a condoms stability by blowing hers up until it pops.

I had a mixture of feelings in that moment. Of course I wanted to see her blow it up, but being scared of the pop I didn't want to watch from any closer than half a mile away, especially not from within the same classroom. I hoped the teacher wouldn't allow it.

But the Teacher thought it would be fun and educational, so the girl began blowing it up and I soon began covering my ears and moving away slightly. I paniced and the class noticed, making fun of me. Luckily the teacher realized my pain and was sympathetic, so I was allowed to leave by the time the condom was running out of rubber to expand into.
                            I didn't hear any bang outside in the hallway (more than just a few steps away), but when I was called to come back everyone was like "Dude, that thing didn't even burst as loud as a balloon, why where you so scared"?.

I was kind of sad, I would have loved to watch, but not that closely!

Comment

• niklooner
                              • May 2018

I remember a girl in my class, Giulia, she was wearing sporty clothes and white canvas shoes (Superga).
                              We had to blow up some balloons for an art project, she grabbed one and blew it up a little bit.
                              She was going to tie it, but then she changed her mind and kept blowing more and more.
                              The other guys asked her to stop it because the balloon was already very big and it was going to burst, but she replied that wanted to see how big it could get.
                              After few more breaths, the balloon exploded loudly in front of all the other scared people.
                              She winked with a cheeky smile and said "ooops!"
                              What an amazing day!

Comment

• Gunnapop
                                • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Loonorm
                                The only ‘random’ b2p that I can recall seeing was at a local car show about 15-years ago. One of the booths that was being set up was for a newly formatted, local FM station. ‘The River’ is what the station was being branded as. Anyhow, the booth had all the necessary decorations to attract people at the car show, balloons being one of them. At the booth, a younger woman started to b2p a balloon. Watching this out of the corner of my eye, it was difficult to keep my excitement down, and hidden from my friends whom I was with. Unfortunately, before the finish of the balloon, we had moved on, as our (their) attention was drawn to another vehicle. I did, however, hear the sound of the balloon popping.
                                ..the River....in the New England area?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍