Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b0f0s0f
    • Nov 2016

Uncolored/"raw" balloons

I got to thinking, everyone is totally caught up in balloon colors due to the role balloons serve in society.

What do completely undyed, colorless latex balloons look like? Clear? I suppose latex gloves might be fairly close actually, especially the older kind that were slightly yellow-white, but what about balloons? I'm curious to see what they'd look like fully inflated and what their properties would be like. Would they be softer perhaps? I wonder if you can buy them anywhere.
  • Danniballoon
    • Mar 2018

Re: Uncolored/"raw" balloons

This is a large Gemar clear balloon. Quite thick latex and despite several inflations/boinks, it's not stretching. I wouldn't say the properties of clear balloons are vastly different from coloured ones. Having said that, black ones always seem to stretch more and with some brands I've found that blues stretch more. Metallic balloons, in particular the Chinese chromes, really stretch a lot :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danniballoon; 12-11-2020, 12:07.

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
      • Jul 2017

Aren’t clear balloons basically what you’re talking about?

Comment

• Common Loon
        • Aug 2020

Yeah, that would be clear balloons. No dyes. Like standard latex gloves or condoms.

Comment

• b0f0s0f
          • Nov 2016

I'm not sure, it depends on how the clear ones are made. Latex gloves do not blow up to be perfectly clear like clear balloons do, nor do they have the same material properties. Condoms do seem to inflate quite clear, but are similarly soft. It's hard to say whether gloves, etc are more "unadulterated" since they're designed for very different purposes. I suspect that clear balloons, while maybe closer to what I'm talking about, are still made with a specific process to produce the clarity (i.e. perfectly clear balloons don't come "for free" from a manufacturing standpoint). I really have no idea though, there doesn't seem to be much publicly available information about what exactly the material composition is for latex balloons.

Actually Bubblyzzz I seem to recall you posting about making balloons yourself, what do you use for that? I imagine it's a much simpler process than the industrial one. How do those balloons behave?
          Last edited by b0f0s0f; 13-11-2020, 08:07.

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
            • Jul 2017

I don't make balloons, but I have had a few people make balloons and I've gotten them

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎