Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • softsquishyballoon
    • Feb 2020

The Red Balloon

If you haven't watched it, already - you can watch it here.

Because it's a short simple film with very little dialogue, the film is open to interpretation. Some might view the film more allegorically, rather than literally.

No matter how you might interpret the ending, the scene where the mean boys torment then kill the balloon will always be distressing for me. Now, depending on your own beliefs concerning spirituality, the ending can be considered relatively happy.

One interpretation is that the spirit of the balloon reincarnates into the other (previously non-sentient) balloons around Paris. The red balloon always seems to know where to find Pascal. Also, keep in mind that sentient balloons are implied to be a minority within the universe of The Red Balloon - judging by the various reactions (both good and bad) to the red balloon.

An alternate interpretation I just thought of is the popping the balloon had released their spirit from the material confines of the balloon body - and before heading off to balloon heaven (or nirvana, or some other paradise), the spirit of the red balloon had summoned the other balloons in Paris to Pascal.

What about you? What are your thoughts? And did that affect you in any way with regard to being a popper or a non-popper?
    Last edited by softsquishyballoon; 19-02-2020, 20:13. Reason: typo
  • PBK
    • Mar 2019

Re: The Red Balloon

I watched The Red Balloon for the first time when I was in the 2nd Grade. The end part was absolutely traumatizing for me and pretty much cemented my status as a non-popper.
    That said, the ending was happy (but still did not deflect from the scene of the boys tormenting and eventually popping the balloon) and the general flow of the movie up to that point was enjoyable.

Comment

• softsquishyballoon
      • Feb 2020

Re: The Red Balloon

Yeah, I hear ya! I like to think that the spirit of the red balloon lived on somewhere. Still very sad, though.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎