X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RainbowYarn
    • Jan 2020

Oggi, domani, dopodomani - Balloon scene

If anyone hasn't seen, here you go.
    (1965 - Marcello Mastroianni. Catherine Spaak. Ugo Tognazzi. Virna Lisi. Luciano Salce. Pamela Tiffin. Lelio Luttazzi)Scena del palloncino
  • Harley
    • Jan 2016

Re: Oggi, domani, dopodomani - Balloon scene

Here's the whole film:

Un film di Marco Ferreri. Con Ugo Tognazzi, Marcello Mastroianni, Catherine Spaak Commedia, durata 85' min. - Italia, Francia 1965Alla vigilia delle nozze un...

I especially like the scene starting at about 47 minutes in - when he enters a balloon-themed club and the movie switches to color. Then he encounters a beautiful woman casually blowing up a big red loon at the bar...

Balloon fetishism might not have been well-known in the 1960's, but someone behind this production certainly had SOME kind of interest...

Comment

• fastlooner
      • Oct 2017

Can someone tell me what this movie is about?
      There seems to be a lot of giant balloons throughout the whole thing.
      I would love to know why the protagonist is constantly blowing up balloons.

Comment

• BusterBill
        Founder, Balloon Buddies
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by fastlooner
        Can someone tell me what this movie is about?
        There seems to be a lot of giant balloons throughout the whole thing.
        I would love to know why the protagonist is constantly blowing up balloons.
        Marcello Mastroianni plays Mario, a Milan entrepreneur, who becomes manically obsessed with blowing balloons to see how big he can blow each balloon before it bursts. He does this over and over again many times throughout the film, using bigger and bigger balloons. He gets his girlfriend pissed off at this obsession, then goes to a disco filled with huge balloons. He meets gorgeous women at the nightclub to participate in his obsession. In the end he loses his mind. The film is an allegorical commentary on the ultimate consequences of unbridled obsession. The story is not well executed, but to answer your question about why he is constantly blowing balloons, it is simply a plot device used to illustrate his mental instability. His obsession could have been with any object other than balloons, but the film’s writer/director Marco Ferreri was apparently a looner -- this was not his only film which featured balloon scenes.
        Last edited by BusterBill; 28-03-2020, 05:24.

Comment

• LoudPop
          • Sep 2018

You mention Marco Ferreri was a looner. What other films featured balloons and was there any "looning" context in those films?

I like Catherine Spaak is some of these scenes:

Comment

• BusterBill
            Founder, Balloon Buddies
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by LoudPop
            You mention Marco Ferreri was a looner. What other films featured balloons and was there any "looning" context in those films?

I like Catherine Spaak is some of these scenes:
            https://youtu.be/a1WiTtzOqrs?t=1059
            I don't think there were any other feature length films by Ferreri that had a balloon theme, but he did make at least one and possibly two short films in which balloons were integral to the storyline. I just checked on IMBD to see if I could find the titles of those shorts in his filmography but had no luck. I saw the films back in the 70's at a local art cinema that put on a film festival of Italian short films. I'm not 100% certain Ferreri was a looner, but he certainly liked to use them in his films and in his writing.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎