Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masseylooner
    • Mar 2016

Firework phobia

But of back story for you, I have been phobic of balloons popping and of fireworks ever since I was a baby I have never known a time where I have liked loud noises I’ve always feared them, when I was younger I was determined to overcome my phobia so I started buying balloons which eventually lead into a fetish but that was never the case for fireworks.

I have put myself into many many situations with fireworks tying to overcome this phobia but it’s only made my phobia soooo much worse, for example I went to a firework display with my best mate but they were all way too big and on the way home people were seeing them off on the streets, like they were literally being set off in the middle of the road and into the crowds of people walking from the display, one even blew up a few feet infront of me.

An other time I was very very unfortunate to have the closing shift at bonfire night when I worked at a paper shop, I ran as fast as I could home with my ear defenders and tears dripping down my face as numerous fireworks were set off in gardens all around me.

One more time which I am proud of was when me and a couple of my friends shot off some fireworks together to help me with my phobia they were only really small ones, I managed to light one but it took me about 15 minutes of shaking first haha it was terrifying, I’ve always tried to push myself with this phobia and try to overcome it, which is why this year on bonfire night I was very surprised at myself.

I was talking to my gf about how I can overcome my phobia through lockdown suggesting places we can go, she saw right through me and saw that I was getting myself worked up and she saw that I was incredibly anxious so she talked to me for about 20 minutes about my phobia, she talked about how proud of me she is, she talked about the progress that I made and that the best way to overcome this phobia isn’t to push myself to my limits, it’s to learn to love fireworks and to see their beauty and look at their bright colours.

This year through bonfire night as you can imagine people were setting them off inside their gardens which freaked me the hell out but she suggested that I shouldn’t push myself in fact she put on my ear defenders and we looked out of the window together, when one went off we would talk about how pretty it is and how much we lived the colours, she would kiss me if a big one went off and honestly just having her there gave me so much confidence, in fact I asked if we could go outside as watching them through the window and talking about them gave me so much confidence, I must add that I had 2 glasses of wine so I was a bit tipsy haha

We went outside together and they were very very loud but again she shouted to me, due to the ear defenders, how pretty they were and how proud of me she was, I have never ever been outside during bonfire night I had always been way too scared, the mere sound of a firework exploding was enough to me cry in fear but here I was looking at them shoot off into the sky and exploding into beautiful colours, we even drive a little to where some absolutely massive ones were being set off and they were mega loud even with the ear defenders, but she kept kissing me and hugging me, she gave me so much confidence it’s unreal

I only told everyone this as a lesson, I thought the only way to overcome a phobia was to push myself but that’ll only make things worse if you put too much pressure on yourself you’re just stressing yourself out, sometimes the best thing to do is to step back, tell yourself that whatever you’re facing is not going to hurt you and take your time, stay in your safe bubble until you’re ready to push forward, I should also mention that on the drive home the adrenaline hit me hard and I did get quite turned on lol only due to the Andre alone not due to the fireworks. But this is a message to everyone who has a phobia, if I can semi overcome my phobia of fireworks then what’s stopping you from overcoming your phobia?
  • wildheart
    • Apr 2015

Re: Firework phobia

That’s quite a sweet story, you’re lucky your girlfriend understands and helped you overcome the fear without pushing too hard. It definitely better to go slowly and try to enjoy yourself as much as possible. That’s how a lot of us started to overcome our balloon phobias.
    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• masseylooner
      • Mar 2016

I would be nothing without her motivation �� in actual fact today I was moving some boxes into the car as we’re moving house and a firework went off as we were outside, she hugged me tight and covered my ears until we got inside then put in my ear defenders so we could continue, after my ear defenders were on I stopped being scared, idk how I got so lucky to find a girl as caring as her ����

Comment

• wildheart
        • Apr 2015

She’s certainly a keeper. Wish I had someone like that to get me through my fear.
        How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
        My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• drifloony1
          • Jun 2020

What a sweet gf you have and thank you for sharing your experiences

Comment

• masseylooner
            • Mar 2016

You’re welcome I’m glad you enjoyed it, honestly the reason I posted this wasn’t to brag that I have a sweet girlfriend haha I was giving people hope ��

Comment

• drifloony1
              • Jun 2020

Originally posted by masseylooner
              You’re welcome I’m glad you enjoyed it, honestly the reason I posted this wasn’t to brag that I have a sweet girlfriend haha I was giving people hope ��
              haha don’t worry, i definitely got the impression you were sharing experiences on facing your fear. It just also made a good story .

Comment

• johnjohnhouston
                • Aug 2021

That would be my 10-year-old dog. If he hears just one firework, he's cowering in the bathtub or in the closet. Poor guy. CBD oil helps quite a bit.

Comment

• AJK64
                  • Jun 2018

Your girlfriend sounds awesome

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢