Old 09-11-2020, 04:35 PM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
Question Balloons made from glove material
I have this memory stuck in my head from elementary school (along with all other balloon incidents I encountered), that I keep coming back to. We would have these "science" days at lunchtime once a month or something and there would be some event staged in the assembly room where kids could go and build something or do some small experiment with a lesson involved. One day, I saw the guy who leads the program walking around to the tables as he did, "advertising" the event that was about to start during recess time. He had a balloon in his hand so I quickly excused myself before he arrived and left for recess, and had some warning about what was coming.

Within 15 minutes of recess, there were balloons all over the school, leaving me terrified and spending the rest of the day trying to avoid them. There was something very interesting about the balloons though, which at the time lessened the fear, and keeps me remembering that day.

The balloons seemed like they were made out of the same material as latex gloves, or something similar. They were definitely just round 12" balloons, but the material was sort of half-transparent milky white (like an inflated glove), and when they burst they were probably a quarter as loud as a normal 12" balloon. They were quite strange and I've never seen another balloon like them. Has anyone ever seen a balloon like this? I'm always trying to find the softest, stretchiest, low pressure balloons and I would love to find some like that again.
Old 22-10-2021, 11:32 AM

som3derp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Balloons made from glove material
Ever thought about trying to make one by inflating a balloon, powder coat it, dip/paint it with liquid latex (with a variable number of layers) and then deflate the inner balloon after it dried?
Old 22-10-2021, 04:32 PM

Danniballoon is on a distinguished road
I wonder if he, or someone else had made them themselves?

I love thin & soft balloons. I got some nice ones a couple of years ago. I'm not 100% certain where from, but it was either from Yorkshire Trading Co. or Poundland in the UK.
Old 24-10-2021, 01:51 AM

SirSquishy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by b0f0s0f View Post
The balloons seemed like they were made out of the same material as latex gloves, or something similar. They were definitely just round 12" balloons, but the material was sort of half-transparent milky white (like an inflated glove), and when they burst they were probably a quarter as loud as a normal 12" balloon. They were quite strange and I've never seen another balloon like them. Has anyone ever seen a balloon like this? I'm always trying to find the softest, stretchiest, low pressure balloons and I would love to find some like that again.
It sounds like they were just normal latex balloons, just underinflated.
Old 24-10-2021, 05:06 PM

b0f0s0f is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SirSquishy View Post
It sounds like they were just normal latex balloons, just underinflated.
Not a chance, most of them were rather tight. They were perhaps only 11" instead of 12 but they were very teardrop shaped and some were slightly bulging at the neck. And when I say 1/4 as loud I really do mean perceptually much quieter, closer in amplitude to a loud clap than to a typical balloon.