Old 13-12-2021, 02:23 AM

balloonPatcher is on a distinguished road
Default restoring a burst balloon
Been doing this for years. When a large balloon (36" or larger) bursts prematurely, it can be glued back together and re inflated close to the original size.

First, I find all the pieces. Then, I roughly fit them together to see which pieces fit together. Wash all the Aband fluid off with mild liquid soap and water.
Apply latex adhesive to the broken edges, let dry 20 sec and push them together. I do a small section at a time because the latex edges are easy to manage. Repeat until the entire balloon is pieced back together.

Next cut strips of latex from another balloon and wash with isopropyl alcohol or acetone. The strips need to be about 1/2" in width. The line formed from butt ending the broken edges together I will call a repair line. Apply glue to one side of the latex strip and 1/2' width over the glue line and apply the latex strip over the glue line. Repeat until all the repair lines are glued together with a latex strip. For extra strength, turn the repair balloon inside out and glue a latex strip onto the other side of the repair line.

Single layer latex strip
IMG_3401 (800x600).jpg

Double layer latex strip- burst & restored #5 soccer bladder inflated to 24"
IMG_3451 (2) (772x800).jpg
Old 13-12-2021, 02:32 AM

Default Re: restoring a burst balloon
If anyone would like more pictures just ask.
The adhesive that I use:

cement02a.jpg
Old 13-12-2021, 04:17 PM

DJ Looner is on a distinguished road
I have several popped climb in balloons that I want to glue together like this, but just by overlapping edges and create a balloon suit. I can use old neck pieces to create leg openings and arm openings. If I ever get time, too many project around the house need done first.
Old 14-12-2021, 02:21 AM

Yes, that would work great for a suit. Latex catfish (latex clothing manufacturer) butt ends the seams with a single re-enforcing strip on the outside, so the interior of the clothing has a smooth seam.
Over lapping the seams for a balloon however, distorts the shape of the balloon. Also for the thick skinned balloons, the single seam does not hold, hence the double seam. The over lapping single seams would work for the standard 36" balloon.